We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Colombo to Galle

Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Colombo to Galle

Can some one give me any advise to get from Colombo airport to Galle.

9 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Read the Top Question on public transport.

You'd need to bus or taxi to Colombo Fort and then get a train to Galle

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Yes that's the cheapest way (bus EX03 or 187 airport-Fort). Takes 5+ hours. Cab all the way is 3 hours and costs Rs 10,000. Hybrid model is cab to Kadawatha (Rs 2,500) and then 1.45 hours direct bus to Galle, hence also overall 3 hours for lower cost than cab all the way.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Hi there, I am a single woman wanting to share a Taxi from Colombo to Galle. I land at 8,30am on Monday 28th August and would like to travel down that morning. Anyone keen to share.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Can you advise about travel by train from Galle to Colombo.i think there's a new fast train

Thanks.

We're here and loving it.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Well see here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

Faster than before the track renovation yes but still not particularly fast, single track from Kalutara-Aluthgama onwards hence often delays (northbound delay triggers a southbound delay too as the track is then blocked).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Walton-On-Thames...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Hello again Erik,

All your advice on Trip Advisor is so helpful, so thank you for that. Can I also ask to get from Colombo to Galle I presume the best and quickest way would be to go by train on this particular route. Am I wrong in thinking it can be done in approx 2-3 hours. If we arrive at Colombo international airport from the Uk would you suggest getting a cab or tuk tuk to a hotel near Galle Fort to then get a train the next day down to Galle. Is the train faster than the bus here? Many thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Hi there,

Well public transport is 5-6 hours airport to Galle, cab 3 hours. So yes splitting, and first night hotel near Colombo Fort (not Galle Fort, typo?), makes sense. Train is 2.30 hours and coastal road bus 3 hours; Expressway buses don't really help as first you need to fight your way out of Colombo centre to the E-way which costs as much time as what you gain later on...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Ellen Lawes again.....sorry. So to get this straight quickest trip is likely to be by train (especially on express service) from Colombo Fort down to Gale in approx 2:5 hours if no delays to service. Does this need to be pre-booked or are tickets easily purchased at station before journey. Recommend class of travel and can we take suitcases on board easily enough. Many thanks 😉

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Colombo to Galle

Okay for some of the answers see again link given in reply 5:

* Cannot prebook except for one carriage in the 6.55 AM train

* Tickets for the unreservable trains/carriages are sold in unlimited numbers. BUT do not guarantee a seat, or even getting inside the train at all especially with luggage

* Luggage is not an issue if the train is not packed, which holds for the trains upto maybe 2 PM. After that don't even try

* And as mentioned in the top question, Maradana is the better station to enter the train than Fort. Doing it all the time, and regularly when I've grabbed a seat when people leave just prior to Fort have quite jealous faces of other tourists standing next to my seat as they made the mistake of boarding at Fort and found no seat...

All the best,

<Erik>

PS Hope you are aware that Colombo Fort is nowhere near the airport, first you'd need bus or taxi for that 32 km...

Reply to: Travel from Colombo to Galle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galle