We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying clothes

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
peterlee co durham
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
buying clothes

where in or near to bentota beach can we get decent clothes to wear? whats the choices?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying clothes

Hi there,

Only a generic answer, sorry - don't remember shop names.

Bentota town has mostly tourist shops. More westernised but higher prices than local. Across the bridge in Aluthgama you have a wider range of shops with more local prices. Western-style men's clothing (because that is mostly what Lankans wear too); for ladies it is a mix of western-style and more traditional Lankan dresses.

At your service,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying clothes

Hi Loobster

Agree with Erik here, with a couple additions.

Colombo will have stores where you can buy good quality clothing, either off the "peg" or made to measure, maybe Treshi will fill in details if she sees this.

Also there is several tailor shops in and around Bentota too, your haggling skills may well come into use here!

Plenty of places selling good fakes too, and from sellers on the beaches, i bought some Lacoste and Nike polo shirts last trip, and before, and all really good considering the price paid (around £4.00 each) , well after several washes, they did not fall apart yet!.

Regards

Dave

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying clothes

hi

look out for shops called "Dress Point" available in a lot of towns and my particular favourite, "ASB", which I found in Panadura ( North from Bentota) and Ambalangoda ( to the south). These have good quality clothes at ridiculously cheap prices with 1st class service. ASB has maybe 7 or 8 floors so maybe call in on a trip to Galle, but leave yourself at least an hour(or more in my wife's case) to get all you need. Any guide worth his salt will know just where to take you, but there's no commission for him so remember to consider how much you saved when tipping!

enjoy your shopping

Steve

4. Re: buying clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bentota