We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming beach in Bentota

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
246 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming beach in Bentota

Hi,

Forgot to ask re Saman Villas - I've been looking on google and it doesn't appear that there is much evidence of sun umbrellas on the beach, is this because the sea is not recommended for swimming?

I've been to the Lighthouse hotel near Galle and was very disappointed they did not warn me about the sea being unsuitable for swimming as this was the main point of staying there!! I am trying to avoid the same situation so any guidance would be most welcomed.

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

Sun umbrellas are in the hotel gardens - not on the beach. Xmas to April the sea is usually safe for swimming. The rest of the year swimming is not safe due to waves and strong currents.

Hans

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,031 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

You won't find many sun umbrellas on the beaches of Sri Lanka at all.

The beach from Bentota to Saman Villa's is very very quiet with not many people around at all, once you get past a small collection of restaurants. Don't the villa's have their own private pools anyway ? (or am I thinking of somewhere else)

London
Level Contributor
246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

Thank you both - Jayne I am sure they have pools but a pool is a pool wherever you are and we like the sea!! Maybe Sri Lanka is not a swimmer's destination.

Thanks for the tip.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

Well it is but it really depends on the time of the year. A reef-protected beach like parts of Hikka, U'tuna and Mirissa is swimmable year round but not always with guaranteed sunny weather. The non-protected beaches at southwest like Bentota are swimsafe 3 months a year as mentioned. And the issue of sunbeds is a different one: almost all beaches in Lanka have public access hence the hotels don't want to place the beds there as standard. Also sometimes there is beach boys hassling (hardly at Bentota). But if a guest wants bed/umbrella on the beach it's put there, and moved back into the garden at night.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

Thanks for the tips Erik - I have also been looking at Aditya near Galle as their gallery shows loungers on the beach so could be just up our street.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

There is a reef protected beach strip in front of the Cinnamon Bey Hotel in Beruwala. It's a 10mins+ drive from the "main strip" at Bentota. No loungers on the beach though...

There are plenty of villas along the coast where you can have the sun lounger placed very close to the beach.

If Saman Villas is within your budget, then Amanwella might be just up your alley as well. They have a "private beach" but is swim friendly during the season.

7. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:04 am, May 06, 2014
8. Re: Swimming beach in Bentota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 08, 2015