We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon

Hi

My partner and I are looking at Sri Lanka for our honeymoon sep 2015. We are looking at doing maybe a tour then a beach stay or just a 14 night beach stay. Can anybody recomend which resort would be best in the south as we are wanting to go to the elephant sanctuary and a few other excursions and any hotels maybe??

Thanks Lesley

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,221 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon

Hi Lesley,

September southern sea is too rough for swiiming except behind the odd reef. Excursions to e.g. elephants are as hard or easy from southwest coast as from east coast. Hence probably better to pick an east coast resort, e.g. Passekudah or Trinco. See 'day trips from beach resorts' top questions for all regions.

Once you've made up your mind come back here then we can suggest resort names...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, March 24, 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon

In sep how about this .... stay in colombo for a day or two after arrival , then head to trincomalee for beach holiday ,trincomalee has many beaches ,stay for a few days at the different beaches you like .You may pick resorts & beaches in trinco by googling and reading recommendations here .There may be mild drizzles or average rains in sep, if you can take it as romantic , no problem. Anyway don't forget to check the weather in trinco before you leave home.

Edited: 5:11 am, March 25, 2014
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon

It will hardly be raining in Trincomalee in September.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon

also you can take a day or two off trinco beaches and visit the ancient temples and cultural relics in Anuradhapura as a side trip.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon

@Hans ..True, but there is a possiblity towards the ending days of september since the date of arrival is unclear and since this is a honeymoon trip , me just being extra cautious :).

Edited: 7:51 am, March 25, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon

I'd suggest doing a tour, then hit the beach for some relaxation. We booked through trailfinders in the uk and got a private driver to take us to habanera (cultural triangle), then yala (national park for safari) and then onto galle and bentota. Galle is pretty nice, but not a great deal to do other than lounge by the pool. I'd recommend the cinnamon and jetwing branded hotels. Definitely try and stay at cinnamon wild if you go to yala... It was breathtaking.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon

If you plan to have a stay by the beach with a few water sports thrown in, I think the Avani Bentota Resort is the perfect place to stay.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon

Avani in September is not the best idea.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon

Bentota is not safe for swimming in September.

Hans