We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saman Villas

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Saman Villas

Hello,

I'm getting married at the Saman Villas in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any tips pr comments. We're staying in th Grand Deluxe Suite.

I'm most concerned about what to go for in terms of music! I'm not sure the local music on offer is really our bag - no disrespect intended!

I'm also interested to know where is good to shop for jewelry in Colombo?

Thanks!

Bridezilla x

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,734 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saman Villas

Hi there,

Well... yep...

As for music: if you want recorded stuff just bring your own CD.

If you want live: well yep the general bands available in the 'tourist circuit' are not bad in playing covers, but repertoire is limited. Expect more evergreens (including sixties seventies and eighties pop) than hiphop, rap etc. But if you really want a special song, again bring the CD (and printer lyrics from a website), pay a bit extra and give them time to rehearse.

Jewelry is available in quite a few good shops along Galle Road in Colombo, mainly in Bambalapitiya and Wellawatte parts of the road. If the stuff is expensive, choose a jeweller (and use the opportunity) that allows a free trip with them to the Gem Merchant Board in Colombo where they give an independent judgment on the value of the gems.

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Isle Of Man
Level Contributor
158 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saman Villas

We went to Saman Villas April/May this year.It was a paradise. Romantic, quiet and tranquil.The accomodation is fantastic.The staff friendly and efficient. All was wonderful until group of 30 French people arrived and spoiled it for a few days.They were loud and roudy. Just check that they havent agreed to accept any large parties whilst you are there.If they havent then you'll have a wonderful time.The locals are lovely but beware, they'll try to sell you everything including the shirt from their backs. It's just the way it is. Be polite but firm. The wildlife at SV is wonderful.Look for the palm squirrels, they will share your breakfast with you.They are so cute! Monitor Lizards(big ones!) just amble by. There are quite a few Kingfishers.Try to get away from the pool and enjoy the gardens and the wildlife just happens around you.

If you go out the front door a Tuk Tuk driver will "adopt"you for your stay. We found a great jewellers called Princess Gems & Jewellery.1st Lane,Moragalla,Aluthgama.We were astounded at the range of stones.Sapphires are particulary good.We bought a gold necklace with a sapphire which we thought was good value.Ask your Tuk Tuk driver to take you there.It shouldnt cost very much.

I know you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saman Villas

Thanks to both of you - I will check on that group booking thing - I had spotted thatin one of your posts.

Getting nervous now...

Thanks again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saman Villas

Hi, Just to add a bit more to the above replies on the jewellery part,. there are so many good jewellers in colombo if you can make it there. Try the Mallika Hemachandra Jewellers, Swarnamahal, Lalitha, Bullion Exchange, Colombo Jewellery stores, Vogue ect...they have good quality jewellery and stones as well and they will do the jewellery according to your expectations. Hope this helps.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saman Villas

Thanks Treshi - we are indeed staying in Colombo for a few days - this will be very helpful - especially to my mother!

I guess we're best to hire a driver for the day? Are there any tricks or cons we should be aware of?

My mother and sister are also looking for a sari to wear to my wedding - any suggestions where they could find a nice one in Colombo?

Thanks a million!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saman Villas

Hi,

Try the Majestic City and Liberty plaza shopping malls for sarees as they are easy reachable to you rather than going to pettah where there are many shops for sarees. These two shopping malls do have a good collection of sarees to chose from and i m sure you will find something good. Also if you can reach Colombo 6 (Wellawatte) for sarees as they too are good in saree collections. Since you are fresh to the country, try to stick with the shopping malls as then you would be more secured. Also tell the driver to take you to places by names then he would take you to the places that you wish to visit rather than the places that he wants where he would get a commission for each visitor he brings.

Hope this helps.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saman Villas

Thank you! I was thinking of going to Pettah, but maybe I won't go now!

I've read about the moon festival in July / August -is this happening between 18 - 25 July? I'm not sure what happens, but it sounds interesting!

All the best,

Bridezilla x

8. Re: Saman Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations