We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bangalore
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Hi. We (Husband, 3 yr old kid, me) are staying in Hikkaduwa in Aug second week. Sadly I read all the good things about Bentota after booking 4 nights in Hikka. So now we are planning to make a day trip to Bentota from Hikka. Need your help with the plan:

1. How to get to Bentota from Hikka? Will a bus be ok (with kid)? Or better book a taxi. Should we book a full day taxi? How much will it cost?

2. I am thinking: Reach Bentota by 11 AM. Spend some time on the beach. Eat at a restaurant, preferably beach side. Do a boat trip on Bentota river. See the Buddhist temple. Visit Bevis Bawa garden and back to Hikka by 6 PM. Is it feasible. Please help.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Buses are not recommended for small children.

A car with driver for the day should be approx. LKR 4,000-5,000.

Why not add a stop at the Turtle Project in Kosgoda?

Hans

bangalore
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Thanks for the quick reply Hans! Yeah I thought Kosgoda, but then I read about a turtle hutchery in Hikkaduwa itself so dropped it from my list. If the Kosgoda one is different/ better, we will certainly be interested in stopping there. So do you think Hikkaduwa- Kosgoda- Bentota beach( just a walk)- Lunch- Boat ride- Bevis Bawa can all be fitted in a day's trip. Unlikely that we will be able to leave Hikka before 10 AM? Also, I am getting a bit confused about the taxi cost. Some people write the 3-4 hour drive from Airport to Hikka is about 8000 LKR. So I was thinking that a full day would be rather expensive. But LKR 5000 sounds reasonable. Thanks again for your insights.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,517 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Taxi cost is determined more by distance than by time, and also by the question on whether it's roundtrip or one-way. In case of one-way, like airport transfer, they have to assume an empty return while in your case they return to base. That determines it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

bangalore
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Thanks Erik. On second thoughts I did realize that Bentota is much closer to Hikkaduwa as compared to Negombo. I guess booking a full day taxi will work well for us. Do you think the day trip I have planned is reasonable? (Hikkaduwa- Kosgoda- Bentota beach- Lunch- Boat ride- Brief garden. Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,517 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Yes, not too packed. Brief is a magic place to visit! See also

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

for many more suggestions on the coast.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

bangalore
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Thanks again. It's very helpful!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,845 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

I've always used the train, rather than bus or taxi to travel along the SW coast

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

Well I recommend the fast Air-conditioned bus cheap and fast, No need for taxi for this trip what so ever.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

I would prefer taxi when also going to Brief Gardens and possibly stopping in Kosgoda.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help planning a day trip to Bentota from Hikkaduwa

If you got the train to Galle, could you keep getting off and on , on the way back to visit different attractions?