We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Suggestions please for solo traveller on 4 week A.I. package deal.

How much should I tip

A. Driver on run from airport to Bentota.

B.Dining room staff. Individually? Weekly ? or collectively at the end of holiday.

C. Room boy/boys.

Don't want to be a "mean Jean" but in the past have found I have been giving as much (sometimes more) than couples/families, and this on top of a hefty single supplement.......another topic for later debate !

Going this week so prompt advice appreciated. Thanks.

11. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, January 19, 2011
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping

Many thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments, will bear them in mind .....and follow my instinct.

Off now to pack the sunscreen and mozzie spray.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping

Good comments by Ian_f and ones which I totally agree with. I used to take out little toys for local children too, before I realised I was giving them to kids all too used to tourists passing their way and as a result plaguing them for more. If you want to donate, give your gifts to a local school, or one of the community centres in the tea picking areas where they will help the poorest children and not encourage the "bon bon brigade".

And I too am fed up with the hotel staff who rush to take your bag the few level steps to your hotel room because they know it's a quick and easy way to pick up a handsome tip. I saw one of these bell boys look disdainfully at a LKR 200 note that was handed to him by a tourist who was, in my opinion, being over generous. By all means reward the member of staff who goes out of his or her way to help you. We all do that, but remember the ones who do not have one to one contact with the guests and yet do some of the hardest and hottest tasks in the tourist establishments .. like sweeping the paths and doing the washing up. Ian_f is spot on with his comments.

Sue

14. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, January 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations