We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many poor hotel reviews

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
So many poor hotel reviews

Have read of a lot of the hotel reviews for Bentota on here, & quite disappointed from the high number of poor reviews/feedback I've read for nearly all the hotels listed. Even the expensive hotels don't seem to gain many glowing reports.

I don't know if this is just typical of Sri Lankan hotels in general, or whether just more people who haven't enjoyed their stay choose to post reviews, compared to those who had a good experience ?.

What do regular visitors think ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: So many poor hotel reviews

We stayed in seven different Hotels on our trip to Sri Lanka and two were basic and yes we got we paid for, But the rest of the 4 stars were well maintained and food was excellent. We did encounter the odd problem but nothing worth noting in a review as you can get that anywhere in the world. Some people like to be picky.

We stayed in a beautiful Hotel in Hikkadewa and one of the guests that stayed at the same time wrote a review and complained about how slow the internet connection was. Why leave home if you have to be on the internet 24/7.

I have only written one bad review of a Hotel that was 2 star in Sri Lanka and it was due to the bad access to the hotel as the road was washed out, the hotel had no menu and the food offered was like 2 minute noodles and the sheets were stained and the roof leaked. I thought that was fair.

Always read between the lines.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: So many poor hotel reviews

I think since the end of the war, tourism industry is getting active again after long time. Most of the hotels are talking about renovations, and most of new players are getting into the industry with lot-of money. So days ahead are getting better and better.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,235 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: So many poor hotel reviews

Well, agree as long as for the next 2-3 years they'd stay on the current price level. The current hotel quality in general, except for those doing total renovations, does NOT justify price increases and yet that's exactly what we are seeing later this year - sometimes 20-30% rate hikes. Making these hotels loosing the appetite compared to places like Thailand, Vietnam or Indonesia :-(((

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

14. Re: So many poor hotel reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, February 20, 2011