We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baggage allowance

North East
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
baggage allowance

Hi ... living up to my name.!!! totally confused ...can anyome enlighten me re baggage allowance .. i have been reading some forums that are stating that 30k can be checked in.. I am really trying to limit my luggage but i do find it hard. ! I am traveliing from LHR to Columbo (for a fortnight) and on reading the forums it seems that i can now take this allowance...I have not long returned home from Dubai (only there for a week and took nearly 30k with Emirates)..so as you can see i dont seem to travel light !! thanks for any info....

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,967 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baggage allowance

Hi there,

Basic answer is 'check your ticket'. E.g. with Qatar those tickets sold separately from UK to Lanka are 30 kg, but sold as part of a flight-hotel package could be 20 kg; no doubt related to a slighly lower price for the airline. Srilankan Air also has variable rules; solely Emirates consistently allows 30kg.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baggage allowance

Hi there...

Erik beat to this one, but was going to ask what airline you are flying with ?, if Emirates or SriLankan Airlines then baggage in Ecconomy is 30 kilos from LHR to Colombo, cannot speak for Qatar or others.

Regards

Dave

North East
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: baggage allowance

Thanks for information ....i am booked on a package holiday with Sri Lankan Airlines (economy) so will be well chuffed if i can take 30k..

Can you give me any ideas on tipping hotel staff .. ie how much and how often.. Thanks...

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baggage allowance

Hi again...

Tipping??, first tip of course would be ONLY to tip for good service, and NOT because it is expected of you..

If you are half board or more at your chosen hotel, then the service charge (tip) is already included, but feel free to leave a 100 Rupee note for good service in the restaruant, same for bar tenders/waiters ect.

Room attendants/pool attendants, again ONLY for good service maybe 500 Rupees per week.

Porters, at hotel and aiport, a reasonable tip would be 100 Rupees..

Doesn't sound a lot, and to us is not, but to them a good tip and they will be very happy...

Regards

Dave

Edited: 4:13 pm, June 08, 2010
North East
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: baggage allowance

Hi again. thanks so much for your help ... i am sooo looking forward to my trip to Sri Lanka and want to ensure all will be 'perfect'.. we are on an all inclusive package through Kouni including tours and then 8 days relaxing at our hotel and we cannot wait ...(only 4 weeks to go .. not that i am counting !! ) These forums and you guys certainly help so thanks for all your info,,,

6. Re: baggage allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:09 am, December 07, 2010