We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Glasgow
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

We're staying at the Taj Exotica in September - any tips on good nearby resturants - any within walking distance? Is wine expensive - we're not big on beer!

Leicester
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

There are plenty of restraunts in the area, but cant remember the names of them but is you ask about there are loads within either walking distance or a short tuk tuk ride. Wine in Sri Lanka is expensive as it is all imported and not something the local drink and i am afraid you will find you have to put up with the beer. Myself and partner are not normaly beer drinkers though it was often nice in the heat to have a cold beer. My partner also enjoyed cocktails made from the local spirit called arrak which i enjoyed with coke

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Try the Arrack, with or without coke. I prefer without but either way, it's a very acceptable drink.

Made from the sap extracted from the coconut flower by the "toddy tappers" then fermented and distilled.

Get a good matured bottle . I usually buy from an off license a ten year old for abot 400 rupees.

In fact, as from monday, I'll be there and sipping the odd glass or two myself.

Rod

Southampton,
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

jack,

Also staying at Taj but in late October. Let me know any good resturants, days out etc. its our first time to Sri Lanka.

Thanks

John

Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

Don´t know if it is still there or has the same name as I haven´t bee for a few years bu Aida was not far, just on the bridge between Aluthgama and Bentota and always had really tasty food. There was another restaurant on the lake that had fab prawns too but have totally forgotten the name of that!

Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

The Golden Grill is near the Taj and has an extensive menu and the seafood is particularly good.Aida is just along the road and is excellent. just over the Bentota Bridge on the Aluthgama side is Terrana Lodge also very good.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Thanks Grummy, Golden Grill that´s the one!

Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations