We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bentota beach hotel

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
west midlands
2 posts
Save Topic
bentota beach hotel

hi

i will be staying at this hotel later in the year, i was just wondering if there are many excursions avaliable there? and also what is the town like? is there many bars/ resturants there?

thanks

vicky x

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,579 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bentota beach hotel

Hi Vicky,

1. Yes, plenty! Quite a few day trips to many interesting places, some of them loooong like Pinawela (2 x 4 hours travel). But for other places, like jeep safaris (unless you like departing from hotel at 2 AM) you'd better make it a multi-day trip.

2. Bentota town is small, but has a (for Lankan standard) HUGE tourist district with many bars/restaurants on 'the strip': the hotel road and parallel Galle Road, upto the lagoon area.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bentota beach hotel

Where to start ???

My husband and I have been looking forward HUGELY to our trip to Sri Lanka in March. I have wanted to go there for many years. By browsing the wealth of knowledge on this forum, especially from Eric, Rod and Dave, most of my questions have answered without me even having to post a question. Thankyou. So it is with massive sadness that we are now having to question our safety and trip. We knew that there was some unrest when we booked last summer, but felt that a day trip to London would be just as risky. But now the situation has drastically changed. Some countries are already advising against travel to any part of Sri Lanka, not just the North and East, others are calling for people to reconsider their need to travel into what has been descriobed as many consulates as 'volatile situation.' To us volatile means things could change at the drop of a hat, up or down. Hindsight is a marvelous thing, if we try and change our plans to another destination (if our tour company allows at such short notice as they have our dosh!)will we regret it?? Yes, if nothing happens during our proposed holiday dates as I have dreamed of this holiday for so long. But equally I would be relieved if nothing happaned for those brave enough to chance it and of course for the beautiful people of Sri Lanka who deserve to live in peace. The uk government had an interesting debate in the house of commons on Thursday 17 Jan 08. The closing stament from the minister of State, Foreign and commonwealth Office, Kim Howells, finished the one and a half hour debate with " The Ceasefire was not perfect, but the basis for peace and moving forward. The end of it is confirmation that we have entered a dangerous new phase in Sri Lanka. The world is watching and waiting". During the debate it was noted that the international monitoring commission had been withdrawn! The Timesonline had an interesting peace today, Sunday 20th Jan 08, well worth a read. In the article it quotes the British Tamils have called for British tourists to boycott the island, and to 'kindly avoid travelling there. The British FCO has not yet advised against travel to the tourist areas, but does reccomend against wearing army style fashion clothing or camouflage stuff !! Thankfully if we do go I have none of that !! Since doing research in the last week I have read that there was a large bomb attack in October 06 on the Habarana/Dambulla road on a troop convoy. Well our first hotel is in Habarana for 5 nights.... I know we wont be travelling in a troop convoy, but we would have to travel on that road and could simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I desperately wish not to cancel, but there again do I want to be looking over my shoulder the whole time as the majority of our holiday is on the road touring? The Times of India also had some relevent info on 19th Jan 08. I am just trying to decide if cancelling will be falling victim to scaremongering and silly panic or if my anxieties are realistic.... ???? Its not been helped by the the fact that a group have asked people not to travel with Sri Lankan airways.....!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,579 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bentota beach hotel

Hi to WLH!

Well this basically IS a different discussion, which was already started under 'troubles'. So don't want to add to this. Just want to make clear that any tourist driver/guide knows VERY well which places/traffic to avoid - e.g. the Habarana-Dambulla attack which was not on a driving convoy but on a transit camp 500 m from the road, and which did not impact civilians at all.

So for other people I'd still not worry - the 1996/2001 civil war period was seen to the outside world as exactly as risky as the current and was still basically safe for tourists, including us on many road trips through the country!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

4. Re: bentota beach hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 16, 2009