We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka Colombo area

U K
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka Colombo area

I am going on holiday to Sri lanka in November for two weeks. A friend of mine went a few years ago and took some supplies (pens, pencils, games) to the local school. I would like to do something similar, if it is still appropriate and would be appreciated, has anyone any ideas. Is this a good idea? and what sort of things shoulds i take?

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

Hi,

There are enough of children orphanages where they will not have enough money for their education,foods etc. For those you can help what ever the way you prefer to help. Either you can help them for their education by distributing pens,books,pencils,erasers etc. or you can sponsor a meal for them.

Nishantha

U K
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

Thanks for that I didn't think of orphanages!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

You will be much better off buying the things in Sri Lanka - they will be cheaper locally and you will be assisting the economy also.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

HI

what i normally do when i go is to stock up here in the UK from the Pound shop on pens,crayons etc and when settled in at Hotel find nearest School or home for Kids and then nip in to arrange delivery,this always goes down very well and also gives me great pleasure along with the chance to take a few snap shots i would not get the chance to otherwise take.

A good idea and something you will enjoy doing not matter what you take go for it

Best regards

Billy

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

If you import the stuff into Sri Lanka and then give it away the child in the school might be pleased but his or her parents who own the local shop are going to be fed up!!!!!

The stuff in the shops is generally cheaper than the pound shop anyway so please please wait til you get there before you buy

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

I think for the average Tourist going on Holiday it is far easier to buy a few bits' and bobs' before leaving the U.K. The motto "it is far better to give,than receive", springs to mind and most folks are happy making a small difference for little imput.

Either way one gets stuff i think the kids will be very happy and this is the whole point of the task.

Best regards all

Billy

Brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

Hello there

Whether you buy in UK or Sri Lanka, most likely you will end up buying Chinese made stuff (at a competitive price). Only difference could be that if you buy in Sri Lanka, you may pay mush less for the same quality, minus less extra luggage during flight.

When you are Sri Lanka, suggest to contact Sarvodaya, an all round reliable charity organisation which has been around for about four decades

I am sure they will be helpful and you will receive satisfaction what you anticipate.

Trust this helps!.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

JUST THOUGHT I'D HAVE MY FINAL SAY (AT THE MOMENT) HEE HEE As i have booked up again to go to Sri Lanka, can i suggest anybody wishing to offer up a kind gesture of buying the kids a few bits and bobs with out the hassle of contacting this or that agency,and buying bits here there even if Chinese made, send me the Money, and i will do it for them.

Best regards and bet nobody will !!!

9. Re: Sri Lanka Colombo area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations