We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

Which Gyeongju hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila
Level Contributor
28 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
"Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

Hi All. Looking to visit Busan and Gyeongju next spring. Beendoing some research on how to get from A to B and I'm finding the info I get really scattered and confusing.

First, I read snippets of a "slow train" from Haeundae to Gyeongju, but most people seem to gloss over it because it's an hour and a half (as opposed to the KTX's 30 minutes. I'm perfectly happy travelling an hour an a half on the slow train if gets me in the middle of Gyeongju, and not in the KTX's station outside the city. Does anyone have any specific information on how to ride this "slow train"? Supposedly the views make it worth it too.

On buses, I'm having a hell of a time figuring out where the bus stations are exactly, or at least the stations that have buses going to Gyeongju. If possible I'd like to book a hotel that's walking distance to the bus station (or train station, see above) to make getting the bus a little less stressful. We stayed in a motel right next to the KTX station the last time we stayed in Busan, and it made getting a KTX ticket to Seoul worry-free.

Any tips would surely be appreciated!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,684 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

The bus terminal is at the northern-most station of subway line 1.(orange line)

visitkorea.or.kr/ena/TR/TR_EN_5_1_3_1_2.jsp

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
297 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

Hi

I took the train (Mugunghwa) from Gyeongju to Busan when I was there in South Korea in October. I am not sure if this is the slow train you are talking about but it did take about 1.5hrs to reach Haeundae from Gyeongju. The reason I chose to go by train is because I was heading towards Haeundae, and the train station is smack right in the centre of Haeundae. If you are staying in Haeundae or close to Haeundae, I will recommend you to take the train to Gyeongju. If not, you are going to waste time getting to the train station in Haeundae. Say if you are staying in central Busan (Nampodong area), you will take about 1 hr to get to Haeundae by subway.

The train station is in Gyeongju city itself, about 15-20 mins walk to Daereungwon. Bus station is also in the city centre )but it is not that close to the train station) also about 15 mins to Daereungwon.

Buses from Busan to Gyeongju only takes about 1hr but the problem is the bus station with buses departing to Gyeongju (can't remember the name) is a bit far from the central, which means you will need time to get to the bus station.

I will say if you stay in Haeundae, take the train to Gyeongju as it saves time travelling to bus station. But if you are not in Haeundae and stay somewhere central, go by bus instead, which I believe is much cheaper than KTX.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
195 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

In general, as you can see .. the bus stations are harder to get to and harder to find than train stations. That's about the same in most countries. The train station was built in the heart of downtown and that's where it remains. Bus stations keep moving around to keep up with changing settlement patterns (which in Korea changes often!).

The slower trains all leave from the central stations - and the KTX sometimes leaves from an outer station that's harder to get to (except Busan Station - which handles both KTX and regular).

Rather than stress out about locating all bus and train stations, why don't you just decide WHICH transport you'll use and focus on those. If you use trains, they'll be very central and ALWAYS connected to the local bus and subway network. Bus stations for tourists are generally more stressful in Korea because cities have 2 or 3 - sometimes 4 or 5 - different stations, each handling different regions of the country. So, in my view, you'll have less stress riding the rails - and also save a good deal of money by riding the regular (Saemaeul or Mugunhwa) trains than the KTX. Even with the regular trains, it's a short trip of less than 2 hours.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
195 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

Let me add that hotels/motels right next to the train tend to be the cheapest - but they're not always the prettiest. If you want to book in advance, you'll go through a booking web site which will only show high-quality hotels- probably above $50 a night and maybe much more. Generally, in Busan and Gyeongju, you don' t need to pay more than $50 a night unless you want the 4- or 5-star luxury hotels. If you choose not to book and just get out and look for a motel/hotel/yeogwan, you'll find many options near the train stations with their neon lights advertising brightly (learning the Korean characters for "yeogwan" - a Korean inn, "motel" and "hotel" will make it much easier to spot).

Manila
Level Contributor
28 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

Thanks so much for the info. I'm definitely looking to go by train now, and have already scouted some hotels in the haeundae beach area. I definitely want to book in advance since we're arriving in the evening and I don't want to stress out about finding a good place. Booking sites show cheaper hotels and guesthouses so I'm hoping a I can find a good value for money place.

6. Re: "Slow Train" or from Busan to Geyongju

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014