We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

Which Jeju hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
149 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

Dear Jeju experts - I'm planning to watch the sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong. ^.^ How early do I need to be there to catch it around mid-September? Is there a good spot that you'd recommend? Thank you so much for your advice...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

Google for the time of sunrise in South Korea for your month of travel. The entrance will be opened about 1 hour before sunrise. If you are staying at the minbaks near the entrance area, start going about 45 minutes to an hour before sunrise. (30 minutes if you are really really fast) There's quite a bit of a steep climb up the peak. You can also look back at the little town in night lights. It's basically a viewing platform....i would say any spot with a clear view is good?

If you drive to Seongsan Ilchulbong from other cities, you would need to see where you are staying. For example, i think Seogwipo is almost more than an hour's drive away....not too sure how long exactly though.

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

First reply was great. Seogwipo is definitely an hour drive away, so I'd recommend staying near Seongsan. There are a few hotels/motels within a 5-10 min walk of entrance. We started one hour before and that was plenty of time. It's about 15-30 min walk up to the top in the dark depending on fitness, mostly path and stairs. It's lit, but bring a head light or flash light too. We saw the sunrise last June and stayed near entrance, it worked out perfectly. Nobody was at the gate/entrance after we waited for 20 mins so we just went to the top. Tried to pay on the way down but the kind Korean man wouldn't take the 1000-3000won it cost (don't remember exactly). Coffee shops don't open till 10am usually in Korea so if needed you can grab some from 7-11 or MiniStop nearby.

Toronto
Level Contributor
149 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

Thanks for the responses! I actually did plan on staying near seogwipo, but did not realize it's an hour away AND we'll need to hike in the dark. I'll need to rethink this. Thanks everyone.

Toronto
Level Contributor
149 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

Thanks for the responses! I actually did plan on staying near seogwipo, but did not realize it's an hour away AND we'll need to hike in the dark. I'll need to rethink this. Thanks everyone.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

Actually the hiking part is simply climbing stairs and more stairs...

No worries as it isn't completely dark. The path is lit and the day is breaking, so it is not as bad as you think.

It's better to spend the night in Seongsan area if you really want to catch the sunrise.

6. Re: Best time for sunrise at Seongsan Ilchulbong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 10, 2015