We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to Jeju in March and arriving around 2pm. Would anyone be able to advise how to get from December Hotel to Hyeopjae Beach by bus?

-If you could provide bus numbers and information on the return trip back to December hotel, it would be much appreciated.

Also, will it be easy to differentiate if a bus is going westbound or another direction?

Thank you kindly.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

Find the eastbound bus stop near December Hotel, catch 17 or 31 to Jeju Bus Terminal. Then catch Circular Westbound bus to the direction of Halim, which calls at Hyeopjae Beach after 1-hour ride. The Korean term for this route is '일주도로 서회선'.

In fact, alternatively, it is possible to intercept the same bus from a bus stop 400 meters north of your hotel, but you might get lost walking there because of streets crossing at odd angles. If you can find CBS building east of your hotel, bus 36 stops there. The very next stop after a sharp left turn, in front of a church and a gas station, is where you catch the same westbound circular route bus to Hyeopjae.

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

Will the bus display '일주도로 서회선'? Or wil I have to find a bus stop that indicates this route?

Thank you so much for your help!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

'일주' means 'running full circle' therefore 'circular', '도로' is for 'road', '서' means West(bound), '회' is 'round' or 'to circle', '선' is 'line' or 'route'. So, the destination panel sometimes display the full designation, or it could use an abbreviation '서일주' thus 'Westbound circular'.

All circular road buses are numbered 700, but they did not differentiate the numbering between westbound and eastbound. Don't ask why. BOTH use 700, thus you need to be able to distinguish by '서' or '동(East(bound))'

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

I will be sure to remember 서 and 동. Do not want to be lost the first time I visit Jeju!

Sorry for all the questions but on the way from Hyeopjae back to December hotel, I'm guessing we should catch an Eastbound circular bus? Would the bus stop be on the other side of the street?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

From your point of view returning from Hyeopjae, Jeju City is in the east (northeast to be precise).

However, the bus originates from Seogwipo City, and from its perspective, it's heading '(north)west' first before passing Hyeopjae and turning east. Therefore, it is still 'westbound circular' bus you're dealing with.

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

Great, thanks for all your help (so detailed!). Have a good day :)

7. Re: Hyeopjae Beach using public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Jeju