We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Busan to Samcheok

Which Busan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Busan to Samcheok

Hi, does anyone know which is the fastest way to travel from Busan to Samcheok? There doesn't appear to have any train from Busan to Samcheok. Tried to search from the internet but not much information on this.

If the fastest way is by bus, what bus number to take & where to take the bus from in Busan?

Thanks.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Busan to Samcheok

You can take an intercity bus from the main bus station in Seoul (Nopodong Station, line 1) to Samcheok. I think it takes about 4-5 hours and there are a couple of direct buses a day (sorry, I don't know the times!)

You could take a train to Donghae (a short hop from Samcheok), but I think it would involve at least 2 transfers and take considerably longer than a direct bus!

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
581 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Busan to Samcheok

Ther's bus going to Samcheok from Busan. (at Busan Intercity Bus Terminal)

But beware, There's only one bus everyday.

It leaves in the morning around 9am.

It takes 4 - 5 hrs.

You can also choose to go by train. It's Mugunhwa train so makes a lot of stops on the way and it takes over 6 hrs to get to Samcheok.

So you can catch the train at many different stations: Haeundae, Bujeon, Dongrae etc.

And there;s only one train a day.

Also leaves around 9am

You go to the Shingi (or Singi) station and from there you can ride a bus.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Busan to Samcheok

I live in Donghae (just north of Samcheok) and so I've done the same route, except to Donghae, several times. Your best bet is the bus. The trains are of little use in this area of Gangwondo.

As debb199 suggested in the first reply, take Subway Line 1 to Nopodong (in the north part of Busan), and then I'd catch a bus to Pohang (leaving probably every 10 or 15 minutes or so). From Pohang there should be a bus that stops in Samcheok every hour or two. Some of the buses that go to Donghae from Pohang will drop passengers off on the side of the road in Samcheok, but I'd clear it with the driver first, rather than just assume they'll do it.

Jason

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Busan to Samcheok

Does anyone know the time of the latest bus leaving from Pohang to Samcheok or a website where I can view those times?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Busan to Samcheok

How far is Singi Rail Station to the Hwaseong Caves and can I catch the train to Jecheon from the same station next day. Is there any motel around Singi Station

6. Re: Travel from Busan to Samcheok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 24, 2014