We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albany airport to NYC by Megabus or Amtrak ?

SF
5 posts
Save Topic
Albany airport to NYC by Megabus or Amtrak ?

On Wed Feb 12 I will need to go from Albany airport to NYC via Megabus or Amtrak. What are the pros nd cons besides cost? What's the most efficient way to get to either Amtrak or Megabus station from the airport rental car return?

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
373 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albany airport to NYC by Megabus or Amtrak ?

Amtrak and Megabus are in the same place, so that's easy to answer. Is really no different from getting there from the airport. Megabus leaves from the parking lot next to the Amtrak station. Given that, it is just a matter of preference and cost tolerance. I am a huge Amtrak fan as I don't like to be dropped off on the street in New York City on the west side by the mega bus. Trailways would eliminate that disadvantage however, and is a third option.

I find the train infinitely more pleasant than the bus, and it willing to pay for it. Bus or train will get you there.

The "most efficient" way of getting from the airport to the train or Megabus "station" is by taxi, which are readily available outside the airport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albany airport to NYC by Megabus or Amtrak ?

I'm sure others will chime in but I had an awful ride on a Megabus double-decker. I'm petite (5'3" 115lb) but I felt very cramped and uncomfortable. Not nearly enough legroom. Maybe it would have been better if I had been on the bottom level?

Pro: It was $20! And they had seats left since I missed my BoltBus that day.

Amtrak will probably be pricey since you're ony 2 weeks out. No clue about directions, sorry!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albany airport to NYC by Megabus or Amtrak ?

It just comes down to price. Amtrak is a much better experience, but there is a cost difference. The earlier you book, the better off you are with Amtrak.

Also check into the costs of a taxi from the airport to Amtrak, it's more than you expect.

4. Re: Albany airport to NYC by Megabus or Amtrak ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, February 01, 2015