We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat right off of Highway

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat right off of Highway

I'll be driving from NJ to Mount Snow, VT (87 => 787) and am looking for a place to stop that is right off the highway. Will be with my son and prefer not to seach around! A chain kind of restaurant is fine like applebees or chili;s but don't want fast food.

Thanks for any help!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat right off of Highway

From your message I'm assuming you are getting off at exit 23 and taking 787 to Hoosick Street (route 7).

If that is the case when you get out of Troy and before you get to the Tomhannock Resevoir, you come to Raymertown and there is a pub on the right hand side in a "strip mall" called Zeeko's Potters Tavern:

timesunion.com/entertainment/…

Zeeko's Potters Tavern

2113 New York Rt 7

Troy NY 12180

Phone: 518-663-8200

It looks like it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays (give them a call).

If you are traveling on a Monday or a Tuesday:

There is a Mr. Subb at the top of Hoosick Street at the light - it is fast food. Not too much further there is one of my favorite places to eat Ted's Fish Fry. Its exactly what it sounds like, it also has the best burgers, but it is very much fast food and greasy.

When Hoosick Street turns into Route 7 there will be a Wal-Mart and couple of car dealerships. Shortly after them there is a diner on your left hand side, can't remember the name but my brother always used to go there and he liked it - that might be your best bet. On the right hand side in a non-descript building is Duncan's which is an old diner that does a great breakfast business, in fact you can't get near there on a weekend morning.

If you don't eat by the Tomhannock Resevoir you aren't eating until Vermont!

If you are taking exit 24 and the Northway from there, let us know there are number of options off the Northway that would be very easy.

Delmar, NY
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
212 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat right off of Highway

Ahh, snow days - gotta love 'em!

As far as I know, there's no Applebee's or Chili's on your route. TPXB is right - your best bet is probably the Brunswick Diner on Route 7 outside of Troy. At the end of 787 take "Route 7 east" exit. You'll cross the Collar City Bridge into Troy; that's Route 7( a/k/a Hoosick Street). Stay on Route 7 thru Troy into the Town of Brunswick. When you pass Wal-mart on the right, look for the diner on your left. Consistently good food, always popular. If you don't stop there or at the pub that TPXB recommends, then you're eating in Bennington, where there are additional choices.

Enjoy the slopes! And think snow!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat right off of Highway

Yup, directions are 87 to exit 23 to rt 7. do you know of anything before troy? wouldn't mind stopping about 30 minutes earlier if possible. Looks like the snow is awesome in your area. Down here we only received a few inches.

Thanks a lot.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat right off of Highway

"The snow is awesome..." After 24 hours of shoveling, its not so awesome :-) But yes, in my back yard there is about 2-3 feet of snow.

As for food before Troy, I can't come up with an "easy-on, easy-off" options. Once you get off on exit 23 you will be on 787 another highway which you then can get into the city of Albany and we can give you some ideas there, but you are dealing with parking issues and taking up some time.

I really think that the diner and the tavern we talked about are your best options. Also after that you have gotten through Troy and it’s a pretty easy drive up into Vermont. But if you want to stop in Albany we can give you some ideas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat right off of Highway

I think I'll just go with your suggestions.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Happy Shoveling!!!

6. Re: Places to eat right off of Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, August 26, 2009