We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adirondacks in winter

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Adirondacks in winter

My husband and I are thinking of a February trip to the Adirondacks. It would be the first time up there for both of us, and we're game for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing--even day-hiking, if that's feasible. We're thinking of the Adirondack Wild, although we'd be open to the Great Peaks area as well. (In winter, though, and without the right kind of gear, that would be asking for trouble.) Does anyone have any experience with/suggestions of places to stay and activities?

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adirondacks in winter

Hi Saturngirl-

They are called the High Peaks.

I would suggest staying at the Adirondack Loj, and day hiking from there:

www.adk.org/page.php?pname=adirondak-loj

Or, you could stay in Lake Placid at a hotel and drive to the Adirondack Loj to day hike.

There are plenty of groomed X-country trails as well, such as Mt. Van Hoevenburg:

whiteface.com/facilities/olympic-sports-comp…

Have fun!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adirondacks in winter

I've heard nice things about the Loj. I prefer being as proximate as possible to the trails, too, and so nice to hear about the trails. Thanks so much!

3. Re: Adirondacks in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 17, 2013