We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Lake Placid

South Riding...
1 post
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Lake Placid

My plan is to take my family via Amtrak to Lake Placid. I know I can't get there without renting a car as Amtrak doesn't go to LP. Any help on to where to get off the train and a rental car place would be much appreciated.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Lake Placid

You CAN get to Lake Placid without renting a car. If you do not need a car in the village then this is the way to go. If you don't want to rent a car then book directly with Amtrak a combo train/shuttle to Lake Placid. You would transfer in Westport, NY to a van shuttle.There is no car rental in Lake Placid. You did not say where your travel would originate and that makes a big difference. The best way would be to rent a car in Albany and drive 2 hours to Lake Placid. You also did not mention what is your purpose of your visit but you might want to consider Lake George. You can do more there without your own transportation.

2. Re: Planning a trip to Lake Placid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 19, 2013