We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backcountry Camping in the Adirondacks

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
Save Topic
Backcountry Camping in the Adirondacks

Hi

Me and my husband will be going up to New York from Florida to do some backcountry camping. We have never been past Virginia so we are quite confused on what the best places to backpack are in the Adirondacks. I like high peaks, and places where I can see the sunset. Anywhere near water but running water, so the mosquitoes are not too bad. We backpack a lot so we are used to long hikes. We will be up north for three weeks and one week we will be in Acadia. We are open to any suggestions. We don't mind the crowds. Oh we are leaving Sept 24th till Oct 15th.

Thank You!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backcountry Camping in the Adirondacks

You do not need to worry about mosquitoes during your visit. What do you mean you'll be up north for three weeks? Three weeks in the Adirondacks? It is a great time to visit the northeast but we’re expecting fall foliage to be more subdued this year as compering to previous years. Still, hiking at that time is the most enjoyable. I suggest staying at the Adirondack Loj at the beginning of your adventure and get to know guests many are real backpackers and staff there is helpful and familiar with conditions of the trail but you need to ask lots of questions. http://www.adk.org/ad_loj/

The John's Brook area, Marcy Dam, and Lake Colden are popular with first timers. There are lean- tos you can stay in and hike from there to different peaks. You need to remember that you could stay only three nights maximum in one lean-to and then move on so others can have access to these free shelters. You can easily set up a base camp at any of those destinations and day hike high peaks from it. I also liked climbing Giant Mountain from the north. I didn’t hiked in that area for the last few years but there used to be a lean-to maybe 6 miles from the trailhead.

You could also consider staying at Johns Brook Lodge and hike camp from there. http://www.adk.org/johns_brook/index.aspx

To be safe on these trails you need to lots of research and prepared for all conditions and it looks like you don’t have much time left to do your own research. Review the link I posted and talk to people at the office. You will need a bear canister when backpacking in the areas of the eastern Adirondacks.

Bring plenty of warm clothes if you’re planning to camp. It could be very cold at night and if you get caught in a rain you really need to be prepared for such conditions. Dress in layers it could be also very warm but remember to carry long underwear, hat, and gloves. At that time temperatures often drop below freezing at night especially in the high peaks area. Stayed on marked trails. Unfortunately some hikers get in trouble by taking shortcuts and as a result they risk not only their own lives but also lives or their rescuers. Get a good topographical map of the area, have a compass, satellite radio. Do not expect for your cell phone to work in remote areas.

adk.org/trails/High_Peaks_Hike-Backpack.aspx

Orlando, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backcountry Camping in the Adirondacks

Hi

Thanks for the reply. What I meant is that our vacation will last three weeks. We will first make a one to two day stop in Virginia and camp along the Grayson HIghlands, then we will be driving to NY and staying with some friends for two days, after we will be heading to maine to camp in Isle au Haut and somewhere else around, when we come back we will then head to the Adirondacks for around 4 to 5 days hiking/camping. We will be bringing everything we need to have a safe trip in the outdoors. I was thinking of doing a hike to Mt. Marcy. Have you been to Pharoah Lake? I really would like to camp out somewhere that is kinda open and not surrounded completely by trees. We just came back from a trip to the Smokies....

Thanks again!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backcountry Camping in the Adirondacks

I hiked extensively at the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area. It's a beautiful part of the Adirondacks. If you google Pharaoh Lake you get lots of information. Make sure you have a correct spelling. Check www.adkforum.com Post your detailed question there but to get helpful answers make certain you have lots of initial research before posting. There are several knowledgeable and very helpful posters with more free time to answer your questions.

You can access the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area in a number of points of ADK. It all depends where are you coming from. If you have only 4-5 days and want to do multi-day/night camping you should decide between Mount Marcy and Pharaoh Lake.

Edited: 10:05 am, September 15, 2012
4. Re: Backcountry Camping in the Adirondacks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 17, 2013