We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

Claremont...
1 post
Save Topic
fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

We are traveling into Buffalo and want to do a fall color tour. We will leave Buffalo on October 8th and need to return on the 13th. The #1 priority is to photograph the fall colors and the New York countryside. We have planned a stop for one night in the fingerlakes region and then plan to head into the Adirondacks. Is that enough time to explore the fingerlakes?

The dilema is where to stay once we are there. We are much more inclined to be in a secluded rustic area vs. touristy location however, we would like to stay in one place as our home base and explore from there. Given the fact that we can not predict where the peak fall foliage will be located, would you recommend Indian Lake and the Blue Lake area or Lake George because of it's proximity to vermont and other fall foliage viewing areas? Or do you have another suggestion all together? We are open. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,026 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

One night is not enough time for the Finger Lakes. 3-4 days would be optimal for visiting several of the lakes and enjoying the diverse nearby attractions such as the wineries, historical sites and state parks.

As for the Adirondacks, I recommend Indian Lake/Blue Mountain Lake as it is much more relaxed and will give you a truer Adirondack experience. You won't need to go to Vermont as there will be equally beautiful (or in my admittedly biased opinion, better) foliage throughout NYS especially in the Adirondacks and Finger Lakes.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

Great advice above. In regards to the foliage, the weather will dictate peak season. If you have missed peak, Lake George tends to keep its foliage longer (the warmth of the lake sustains it) than other local areas. HTH.

Mentioned in this post
Brownstown, MI
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

I'm also biased to the Adirondacks, though more north into the Lake Placid area. :) That being said, please note that the trees in the north are already beginning to change. Early this year for some reason. You may be better off sticking to the lower Adirondack region as the previous poster indicated. Vermont is lovely and will give you some beautiful photos but so will the Lake George area. The entire region of the Finger Lakes, which can't be visited in one day, and the Adirondacks, which also require more than 1 day, are both good choices but for different reasons. Lots of wine and water in the Finger Lakes while Lake George has more mountains and is nearer the VT Green Mtns. If I were picking, I'd head to the Lake George area as base camp and go from there. There are some larger chain hotels in LG though the mom and pop places usually close after Labor Day. I know you want rustic but not sure how much of that is available in either location. You would find rustic in Lake Placid.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

Hello,

We are also intending to visit the area (lake placid + blue mountain lake. We afraid to miss the peak of the fall foliage. Do you think 30 September to 3 October would be passed the peak this year ?

Thanks a lot,

Zoee.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

Here is the peak foliage forecast map:

yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/

Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

Here's the New York State foliage forecast info: …iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html

Mentioned in this post
Bethesda, Maryland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

Lake George, definitely! There is a little place near Hague called Trout House Village where I sty every fall in mid-October. I go for the fall foliage and bonus, the ADK Pub in Lake George Village has an amazing Oktoberfest every year. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

I wanted to pass along a website that indicates where and when the NY foliage will be best: http:fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html.

Apparently, this will be the week for peak foliage in the Lake Placid area. Lake George will probably be a week behind and Albany's peak foliage will be at least a week after that.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: fall foliage Adirondacks and Surrounding areas 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 13, 2013