We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adirondack in May

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Adirondack in May

Hi

I'm planning my first hiking in adirondack now.

I will driving from Toronto to Mt Mercy in May 18-21 and wondering how about the weather then, still chilly or snow ground? Next issue is black files, many people mentioned, how serious will be. I have no idear and no experience with black flies before.

Because I will be ther myself, is it easy for me to find some other hikers?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,027 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adirondack in May

I do hope that your last sentence means you won't try to go hiking in the High Peaks alone, RIGHT?

That said, noodle around in the hiking sections of the Adirondack Mountain Club and that of Paul Smiths. Maybe you can join a scheduled hike.

www.adk.org/explore_park/Chapter_Outings.aspx

http://www.adirondackvic.org/AboutVIC.html

As to Black flies and snow- I lost my crystal ball, but you could easily encounter one or the other or both- although the snow would be at the higher altitudes and the black flies more likely in the lower ones.

Take care.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adirondack in May

CSS provided two good links. Study them. I hiked in the Adirondacks alone many, many times. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're properly prepared and let someone know when to expect you and know your exact route. Never walked away from your planned route. Carry with you the first aid kit, survival kit, water treatment pills and extra food. Besides, you have almost no chance to be alone on the trail to Mount Marcy. It is a very popular and sometimes crowded on weekends trail. If you want to hike to Mount Marcy (not Mercy) named after the former governor of the state the best would be to stay at the Adirondacks Loj. Not only you'll be at the trailhead but you could find hiking companions right there. It's a real hiker's lodging. The lodge has private rooms and also bunk rooms. http://www.adk.org/ad_loj/index.aspx

I do not recall ever any snow this late in May. It could be very summery warm day or cold and wet. Just be prepared and wear layers. As to black flies bring OFF and apply generously before your hike. Do not forget to apply on the back of your neck along a hairline and behind your ears. Reapply after sweating. I usually bring an extra t-shirt or two and change to fresh and dry after sweating on long demanding trails. It works for me.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adirondack in May

Thanks so so so much.

Yes, Mt Marcy will be my destination, I will stay in Loj as recommended, hope I can find some hikes to high Peak, can't wait to be there~LoL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,027 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adirondack in May

Have fun...you will surely enjoy it.

5. Re: Adirondack in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 23, 2013