We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for late October

NC
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for late October

We'll be attending a wedding in Lake Placid the last weekend in October. I'm having a hard time figuring out what we could do in the area that time of year since we'll just be missing the leaf season and all the sites on fall tourism have to do with leaf peeping. My husband and I are in our early 30's and we like (easy-moderate) outdoor activities like hiking and kayaking or just exploring beautiful scenery and quaint towns. We'd be open to going elsewhere within a 2- to 3-hour drive as well. Could you please suggest some areas or towns we should consider?

Also, we might fly into Montreal, so I'm wondering if it would be better to spend more time there since the weather won't be the best for outdoor activities in the Adirondacks.

Many thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
951 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for late October

Pls see other posting from destination expert. Area around Lake Placid has been hit hard. Some trails may still be closed when you get there.

That said- the Adirondacks are beautiful every day of the year. I would stay there, get a map and some tourist brochures and explore the Park, so far as roads and trails will allow. The Wild Center will still be open. Kayaking will still be lovely (and fewer bugs!).

Edited: 8:31 am, August 31, 2011
Traverse City...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for late October

Where might I find this post from the destination expert? We'll be in the area in early October; I am trying to determine extent of hurricane damage and what/where I should avoid. Thx.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
951 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for late October

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g48023-i509-k47762…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for late October

Fall Hiking - Baxter Mountain: The High Peaks Region is famous for itsmagnificant 46 peaks including Mt. Marcy, the highest peak in New york State, with an elevation of 5344' .The 46 peaks include the following mountains.

Lake Placid is the best area for peddle kayaks. Here you can enjoy a lot with your husband. So I suggest you these two places to enjoy.

Good luck.

5. Re: Suggestions for late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 18, 2012