We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Adirondacks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Adirondacks

I am considering a summer vacation in the Adirondacks, but am not sure whether I can find the combination of features that I need there. Here are my criteria: 1) A small cabin with a private bath in a peaceful setting preferably on or within a short walk of a beach on a lake; 2) Easy access (by road) from this cabin to several mountain trails that offer varied terrain and sweeping views and that would not be crowded on a summer weekday.

By not crowded, I mean that I would like to be able to enjoy solitude for most of my hike, but don't mind seeing up to ten other small hiking parties sporadically during the course of a day, or sharing a scenic peak with less than a dozen other people at lunch time.

Is there any location in the Adirondacks that would meet my criteria? If so, can you suggest places? (I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations of specific accommodations, just general locations.) Thank you!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Adirondacks

Have you run across this site?

http://www.adkbyowner.com/

I would suggest the high peaks area but not Lake Placid itself since it is a very busy tourist town.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Adirondacks

I would recommend the previous poster's site for rentals in Wilmington, NY. Wilmington is the home of Whiteface Mountain, has a beach on Lake Everest, is a quiet town with access to several hiking trails and fishing opportunities, as well as mountain biking trails. There is a small grocery store and a few restaurants, and Lake Placid is about 12 miles away. The other "High Peaks" of the Adirondacks are all a short drive away.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Adirondacks

www.southernadirondacklakehouserentals.com

great info and beautiful country!

4. Re: Where to go in Adirondacks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 21, 2012