We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency recommendations

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Currency recommendations

Hi

What is the best way to travel to Seychelles, money wise,

my thought was to buy some dollars in my bank account, and whenever i'll need money (ATM/Restaurants/etc) i'll just use my Visa to withdraw/pay in dollars (no FX will take place)

another questions, where should i buy Seychelles currency? (do i really need it)

What do you think?

P.S.

i will bring some cash with me ofcourse

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency recommendations

Hi Eden,

I am bringing with me around 1-2000 euro and I pay the restaurants bills, souvenirs and drinks in SCR (bought at Cash Plus Exchange Office) while hotel bills, car rental and day trips I pay in euro. All services that I paid in euro you can pay in usd. As back-up I have credit and debit cards.

Miki

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency recommendations

I wonder what is better to bring cash (euros) and exchange it at bureaus de change or withdraw from ATMs using credit cards?

Who offers the best exchange rates? I just compared the exchange rate on VISA website with the average on the National Bank of Seychelles and found out that VISA has a worse exchange rate...

Can anyone give me a piece of advice?

Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency recommendations

Well I suggest you bring your cash with you, and change it at the bureau de change, usually withdrawing money from cards does account for some fees.i am sure you would be able to find a good rate around.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency recommendations

Hi Denis, thank you for your recommendation. My bank doesn't apply charges and I can withdraw money from any ATM for free but it seems the exchange rate isn't that good.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency recommendations

The exchange rate that you receive at Cash Plus Exchange Office is the best in Seychelles, far better than the exchange rate that you will receive when you withdraw money for ATM. So take with you euros and you will save a lot.

Miki

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency recommendations

Miki, where are these Cash Plus Exchange Offices situated? I'd like to exchange some money on Mahe after arrival but we'll have little time 'cause we're going directly to La Digue. And what is the best place to exchange money on La Digue? I read the exchange rates are less attractive there...

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency recommendations

Hello Lav4ik,

There are 8 branches in Seychelles: 4 on Mahe, 2 on Praslin and one on La Digue. Either you exchange money on Market Street branch in Victoria or you can exchange on La Digue if you arrive there during office hours.

Miki

Sitges, Spain
Level Contributor
148 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency recommendations

Hello!

like Lav4ik we are arriving to Mahe and flying directly to Praslin & ferry >La Digue.

reaidng your post interested also to buy local currency at the best option you explain Mikiduta. (what a great destination expert you are! my congratulations and thanks! how much I'm learning reading your posts!)

I understand that there are not Cash Plus Exchange Offices at the Mahe airport, right?

then if upon arrival to La Digue we are being trasfered to LA DIGUE ISLAND LODGE how easy can be on our day arrival to go to the Cash Plus office?¿

we are arrivinf early morning to Mahe, so we should be on time ariiving to La Digue.

may I ask to stop at the office during arranged transfer to the LDIL?¿

thank you!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency recommendations

Hello losviajesdnur,

First of all thank you very much for your kind words.

When you reach La Digue, before getting into the car you can go for exchanging money at Cash Plus. It is right near the jetty on the left side coming from the jetty to the main road. There are only 6-700 m from the jetty to LDIL so you can visit La Passe every time you need to exchange money. Just rent a bike and explore this tiny beautiful island. I hope you booked a chalet overlooking Indian Ocean. The views are really spectacular.

Miki

Sitges, Spain
Level Contributor
148 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency recommendations

Dear Mikiduta

thanks a lot for your explanations, you are always so helpful giving so much knowledgeable information that I have not words enough to thank you.

Ii looks to be easy, so we'll do like that.

I didn’t know THE LODGE was so near to LA PASSE, so that’s fine to know.

I'm really excited Miki,

I'm trying to book the "A" FRAME "BEACH" CHALET, is it the one you mean?¿

I’m on it since 2 days ago… that’s because this lodge has several beachfront type: the BEACH HOUSE, l' UNION CHALETS, and the A FRAME (garden & beach) last one is the one I'm trying to get and It seems to be ready, but to be sure there has not been any mistake I have to wait until Monday for confirmation from my travel agent, whooffered a bit better price than the web site.

Really we tried first PATATRAN because we found it is placed in a nicest beach, (swimming and snorkeling are our main interest!) but it was fully booked, then I tried this second option,

I’m happy to read it has so nice views, so hope to be lucky!

Once I have this confirmed I’ll be ready to go on 2nd nov, so be careful! till then I’m going to dive here looking for good information, and will send more questions! I have lot of them on my first trip to the islands. :)