We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living on Praslin Island

ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Living on Praslin Island

I'm moving to Praslin Island in September and will be staying for two years. I'd love to know more about it.

Will I enjoy living there?

Is travel over to Mahe expensive?

What activities can i do on Praslin?

Is there much social life on it? Will i get bored?

Do local hotels show football matches?

What is the food like? Are the supermarkets adequate?

I would be grateful for an information.

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living on Praslin Island

Hi, that sounds like a tough assignment!

Praslin is much more relaxed than Mahe with a smaller population, but is totally stunning. Coming from the west you must expect to slow things down an awful lot!

Travel to Mahe is not expensive if you qualify for a temporary Seychelles residency, as the flight costs are reduced. If you don't then you'll be using the ferries or Cat Coco which are not too badly priced.

Social life is not exactly buzzing on Praslin, there are some nice, but quiet bars and one nightclub.... Mahe is a bit busier on that front, but still relaxed.

The supermarkets are ok, not that many in number, but again not as good as Mahe or La Digue for that matter which is a place I'm sure you'll head over to.

Football is very popular in Seychelles so you'll have no problems finding somewhere to watch it, the locals will help you find the best venue.

To sum up, Praslin is quiet, relaxed and stunningly beautiful. You will need to take off your western head for speed and action and prepare to lead a much more relaxed lifestyle, it will be quite a culture shock, but something I'm sure that will be a pleasure in the long term.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living on Praslin Island

Agreed with Mitchurchin :)

Also if you are living there for two years - I am assuming you will qualify as a temporary resident - the resident fare on the ferries is much lower than the tourist fare which I find annoyingly expensive TBH.

I found Praslin had very little choice for shopping and entertainment - although I remember going clubbing there a couple of times - sweaty affairs where they will demand that you wear trousers and covered shoes.

One piece of advice is make sure you have your food sorted for Sunday night. I remember one Sunday night roaming about helplessly trying to find a place that was serving food and finally having to go all the way to Cote D'Or to find an open restaurant.

3. Re: Living on Praslin Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, November 01, 2010