We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which scuba diving centre?

england
8 posts
1 review
which scuba diving centre?

hi,

i am due to go to praslin in late june, and my pertner is wanting to do some scuba diving, even possibly getting his PADI open water certificate. i am aware there are 3 main dive centres on praslin, the octupus diver, whitetip divers and bleu marine divers. does anyone have any recommendations of which is best, and where are the best sites to go diving?

i am not a diver so will be snorkelling! any tips on where best for me to go?

any advice/help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks alot

Torquay, England
Level Contributor
701 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: which scuba diving centre?

Hi,

When I was there I used White Tip divers. They were a great group and I really enjoyed diving with them. Octopus are also supposed to be very good. I do not know the other dive school.

Michelle

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
77 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: which scuba diving centre?

Hi

Best to choose the diving centre closest to you as you really dont want to have to walk/cycle whatever too far in the heat of Seychelles! In Anse Volbert I have been diving with Octopus Divers (believe now nesr Berjaya Beach Hotel middle stretch of Anse Volbert)for many years, and I loved it, in fact did my very first diving there. Found them relaxed and accommodating. This was a few years ago though. Apparently Octopus and White Tip Divers are now run by a brother(White Tip) and sister (Octupus)team. I will probably dive with White Tip Divers(At Paradise Sun in Anse Volbert)in October as that is closer to the location I will be staying at. I have had good recent reports from them via people who have been there. There are stacks of dive sites around and the dive master will assist in choosing where to go. At a fee, you can also go along and snorkel if they dive around pinnacles or little islands or at La Digue. Depending on the weather, Octopus sometimes dropped us at famous Anse Lazio a from seaward side after the dive - there is excellent snorkeling there. Else take the bus (last strech is a bit of a walk) to Anse lazio at least once, for snorkeling. Depending where you stay, you can just snorkel in front of your hotel, its lovely - I saw turtles, small shark(harmless) and loads of stunning colourful fish of all shapes during snorkeling at Praslin. Best to take own mask, fins and dont forget a protective "second skin" or similar to protect your back and legs from sunburn during snorkeling - else your holiday will be spoilt! have fun!

Brussels
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: which scuba diving centre?

Hi!

I used Whitetip Divers last May when on Praslin and can recommend them. Very relaxed, nice and helpfull guys.

As for snorkelling - Anse Lazio was good, St. Pierre (small island opposite to Anse Volbert) great, but I think you need a boat to get there or be a really good swimmer.

There is a fantastic place on La Digue for snorkelling, Anse Severe, we've seen turtles, schools of fish, it's bustling with life there and it's really shallow at low tide so you can get a close look. Even if you just go for a day trip to La Digue, Anse Severe is worth a couple of hours.

Have fun and mind the sun!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: which scuba diving centre?

Hi!

I haven't used any of the diving outfits so cannot make any recommendations.

However, for snorkeling - I would recommend Ile Cocos - very good snorkelling off the rocks of this islet - but you have to get there from La Digue so you would either get a tour or rent a boat - there are no ferries to get there.

Second and more easily accessible I would recommend St Pierre - water taxi from Cote DÓr beach, Praslin to this little islet is about USD 10-15 return for the whole boat not per passenger.

Keep in mind both islets have no developments on them so bring your food and drink with you unless you take a tour - you also have to pay a marine park fee of about USD 10-15 per person when the rangers arrive

Re: Anse Severe on La Digue - yes this is a good place for snorkelling but please be very careful - this side of the island can be dangerous. And as Seychelles beaches can be very deserted you may find there aren't any people around to help. You could of course just wade out when it's low tide and rock pool :)

Milano
4 posts
5. Re: which scuba diving centre?

Whitetipdivers is the best dive centre on Praslin , with very professional staff. They organize diving for all level and snorkelling trip for no divers.

http://www.whitetipdivers.com

Milano
4 posts
6. Re: which scuba diving centre?

Hi even if you are not a diver you can check with whitetip divers , the dive centre at the Paradise Sun for a inforgettable experience of snorkelling or discover scuba diving. They are very professional and ready to listen the needs of clients.

hppt://www.whitetipdivers.com

Milano
4 posts
7. Re: which scuba diving centre?

I know that whitetip is the best on the island. Very professional.

http://whitetipdivers.com

Milano
4 posts
8. Re: which scuba diving centre?

the brother and sister now are running only whitetip divers, and at the moment they can offer a different service to clients and much better organized then the other diving on the island.

They organize also snorkelling trip for people and provide of all equipment you need . Everything is new and good state and mantenance.

For me they are the number 1

hppt://whitetipdivers.com

9. Re: which scuba diving centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 14, 2010