We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Improtant!!! Don't buy Rupee's!!

Bournemouth,UK
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Improtant!!! Don't buy Rupee's!!

Dear All,

Just heard from my family in the Seychelles that all forgeigner will have to pay in FOREIGN CURRENCY in all restaurants, bars. Usaully you only had to pay in the hotels but this has now changed. The restaurnts and bars will be using the bank rate of exchange but the rupee keeps decreasing in value so it's still quite cheap. There is really no point in taking any ruppees as you won't really be able to spend them. I would buy rupees once you arrive as even the taxis will probably charge you in foreign currency. Hope this helps!

Em

Mentioned in this post
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Improtant!!! Don't buy Rupee's!!

Where prices are posted in foreign currency, it's generally in euros. I think only once did we see prices posted in both euros and dollars and in that case, they were different prices based approximately on the exchange rate.

If you pay with a credit card, in our experience, the charge will be put through in whatever currency the merchant transacts and posts prices in (i.e. euros at the hotel and rupees at local restaurants and shops).

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Improtant!!! Don't buy Rupee's!!

One thing that I still cant work out is if tours and some restaurant bills etc are all priced in Euros,if I handed over pounds or dollars,would they accept them or would they offer to exchange them into euros at an unfavourable rate,so I can pay in the exact euro amount.This is just on a cash basis,forgetting about credit cards.

Also do the hotels charge extra for recking up your accommodation food and drinks on them(regardless of own bank charges)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Improtant!!! Don't buy Rupee's!!

You could change pounds or dollars 'illegally' (see other forum posts on this one) as is said on the islands and get a favourable amount for euros (much better than the banks etc) and there are some restaurants who'd do the change for you. I would recommend changing the currency first as most things are priced in euros.

14. Re: Improtant!!! Don't buy Rupee's!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 01, 2009