We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficult decisions: North Island?/ Praslin?/LaDigue?

Lisbon, Portugal
2 posts
Save Topic
Difficult decisions: North Island?/ Praslin?/LaDigue?

Hi!

I've read plenty of the posted reviews and stil can't decide where to go and stay.

Here's the catch:

We like snorkelling. Peace and quiet, away from the crowd, the possibility of exploring the islands. But also, dinner out, take one or to days in the resort, near the beach, just reading.

Can I get it all?

For example, rooms in North Island are simply fabulous. They are not near, but ON the beach, but and also very expensive.

The doubts...

Is it better to choose Praslin, and visit La Digue, or the opposite?

Where's the best spot to snorkel in Seychelles?

Is it possible to visit the Aldraba Atol?

If I Choose island hopping will I get tired of it? )Imagine, 3 days in La Digue, 3 in Praslin and 2 in Mahé?)

What accomodations do you suggest?

Thank you for your help,

Ines

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficult decisions: North Island?/ Praslin?/LaDigue?

On La Digue there are a small number of options for dining out in and around the tiny village of La Passe and the pataran restaurant at L'Ocean Hotel and the Chateaux St Cloud hotel restaurants both offer pick up and drop services. The and the best spot we found for snorkelling was Anse Source D'Argent, but at the furthest end of the series of bays that make up the area. We saw turtles, moray's all manner of reef fish etc. in about 4-5 feet of water. La Digue is charming, very laid back and whilst you can go for the day from Praslin its well worth a vist for a few days.

On Praslin you can stop along the stretch of coastline between Cote D'Or and Anse Lazio for good snorkelling and I think there might also be good snorkelling around the La Reserve hotel as well. You won't find much on Cote D'Or unless you take a boat to the little islet just off the coast and at Anse Lazio generally the sea is too rough for snorkelling. Around the Cote D'Or area there is enough of a selection of hotel and independant restaurants for you to sample in a short stay and for something special I would recommend Tante Mimi and cheap and cheerful the La Goulet. the retaurant at La Reserve is also nice.

Its been a number of years since I visited Mahe, but for snorkelling the area around Glasis offered fantastic snorkelling and its not too far from the Beauv allon area where there are some restaurants etc.

I don't really want to recommend hotels, as we stayed in self catering places which is not for everyone. However, in the Glacis area the Sunset BEach hotel and the Hilton Northolme both have great off the beach snorkelling and I understand the Northolme is now a 5 star place. On La Digue luxury options are not really available, but there are some nice reasonably priced places and as long as you don't mind getting on a bike no where is very far from anywhere. On Praslin I really liked the Cote D'Or area and would recommend lookingfor somewhere in and around there. La Reserve looked nice when we went for dinner but beryond that I could not say.

As for getting to Aldabra, you would most likely have to stay as its a fair distance and may be quite expensive, but there are plenty other options for day trips to islands, we went to Sister and Ils CoCos islands which was al ovely day out snorkelling, swimming and eating lunch.

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficult decisions: North Island?/ Praslin?/LaDigue?

Hi Ines,

having been to both Praslin and La Digue, my impression is you are probably more likely to find peace and quiet on Praslin as La Digue is smaller and tourists do tend to flock there. But you should be aware that this is an impression I formed only after a day trip there - I never stayed there and there may well be parts of the island where you could 'get away' from the crowds, as it were. And the charm of La Digue in my view surpasses Praslin; if you could find the secluded accomodation you desire, I think it would be ideal. One way you might do this, if Seychelles ever has a low season, is travel during then, as long as you are sure the weather will be conducive to your sedentary pursuits.

If relaxation is your paramount concern, island hopping at the short intervals you have mentioned may interfere with your tranquility; but only you can eventually decide using your gut-feeling how disruptive that might be. We spent around a week on Mahe and Praslin which was about right for us. The 8 days you seem to have (taken from the total in your post above) does not allow much flexibility in spending greater periods of time on different islands. If it is possible to increase the number of days to allow for this, then do so, if not then you have the choice of following your current plan or reducing the number of islands you visit. I think Praslin and La Digue sound like good bases as long as you can find something that meets your criteria; unfortunately I know little about Northhomle Island or Al a Dabra except that the latter is breath-stoppingly expensive. On Praslin, with your snorkelling and beach-reading in mind, I would firstly recommend as the previous post suggested somewhere near Cot'Dor and Anse Lazio. Be aware that hotels on the opposite side of the island are built on Grand Anse beach. And there are times during the year when the sea is muddy and the beach is strewn with seeweed. If you do consider Mahe, the Anse Soleil Beechcomber may be quite remote, but it would probably suit your needs for seclusion (confirm your others such as quality by reading reviews) though you would need a car to get back to civilisation as it were.

Hope some of this if not all helps.

Bologna, Italy
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difficult decisions: North Island?/ Praslin?/LaDigue?

you must choose frigate island!!!

4. Re: Difficult decisions: North Island?/ Praslin?/LaDigue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 29, 2009