We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental Praslin

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
429 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental Praslin

Dear fellow travellers

Hubby and I are arriving in the Seychelles end of this month and are considering hiring a rental car while on Praslin, as we understand, that this is much needed in order to get around even for just brief distances as busses are not running i.e. evenings and with limited frequencies. We shall be staying some 2 km from Anze Lazio and 5-6 km from Cote d'Or, both places we wish to visit several times and hence suppose it won't be safe or advisable to do by bicycle - at least not in the evenings. We need transportation to/from the airport and excursion dep. areas etc. as well. So even though we shall have some days "at home", do you agree, that a car-rental for the entire stay will be the thing to do?

As none of the bigger international car-hire firms seems to be present at Praslin, I have searched the net and found 2 companies, that seems to look OK (we don't want to use "Joe's' garage, if you know what I mean). Hence, I should be greatful if you could give us your opion on the 2 below companies:

SEA VIEW CAR HIRE and KREOL CAR? Or anyone better/reliable?

Sea View have given us a good offer - but it doesn't state anything as to CDW and other possibly needed insurances etc. Looking at Kreol Car's website they have a lot of information about CDW excess/own risk as, apparently the size of same has quite an influence on the price. So now we are somewhat confused...

* Can anyone confirm that the mentioned rental companies are reliable and safe to use?

* Can anyone verify the CDW-situation with car rentals at Praslin?

PS: Any suggestions for Mahé as well. There is a Hertz Rental place + Thrifty and Sixt - but they seem all rather expensive..

In appreciation thank you so very much. Kind regards - PURPLE

Edited: 9:03 am, January 13, 2017
47 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental Praslin

Dont get to stress over the CPW etc they are pretty laid back out there :) I've used Bliss Car Hire and found them v good.

We had car for entire 2 weeks and yes much easier to move around the island.

Povazska Bystrica...
Level Contributor
241 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental Praslin

Hi purple, what needs to be understood first is the island road infrastructure which influences rental companies conditions. Praslin's roads are very narrow, sometimes with steep parts, lot of sharp curves there... Driving there is really challenge even for experienced driver. Infrastructure implies the CDW either as the risk of an accident is provable higher. (I know you know). Higher CDW is a form of pressure on drivers to be more careful-safety first. In terms of rental company reliability I think (and experienced) that is comparable to world rental leaders, just to make sure everything is covered by signed papers. I can recommend Steppe car hire, have used them twice, no problem at all, good price, fast communication. Or try Premier cars, new small company, serious owner. On Mahe I have used Absolute car hire, twice, very reliable. As was written, things in Seychelles aren't so tough, they're pretty laid back...it doesn't mean you don't have to be careful, but it is recommended to be more relaxed...:) agree the terms and conditions, negotiate if possible, write everything on the paper, sign and enjoy this relaxed and beautiful country.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental Praslin

Thank you Gregory and Roland for taking the time to drop me a line. I've duly noted your info and suggestions and shall be looking into the suggested companies. Have a good evening.

Kind regards - PURPLE

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental Praslin

PS: Do anyone know "Praslin Holiday Car Rental"? This company has been recommended to me by the host of our accommodation. I cannot find much info on this company though and the website doesn't work... So I'll appreciate to learn of any info as to reliability of this company and or any other info you may have. Thank you.

Kind regards - PURPLE

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental Praslin

Purple i think they are connected with Bliss car hire. We had to swoop cars for the last 3 days and car provided had their label. Again no issues.

Mahe Island...
Level Contributor
857 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental Praslin

I usually use Kato car hire when visiting Praslin the company is is run from Palm Beach Hotel , Grande Anse. they have a fleet of well maintained cars, never any issues.

And yes, renting a car for your entire stay makes sense, one taxi ride can be equal to one day car rental fee.

Edited: 5:05 am, January 16, 2017
Mahe Island...
Level Contributor
857 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental Praslin

Also all the car rental agencies on Praslin know each other and often cover for each other, so you may hire from one and get a car from another!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental Praslin

Thank you so very much Gregory and Seygee for your kind inputs. All duly noted.

On Praslin I have now got a rather fine offer from "Praslin Holiday Car Hire" via the hostess of our accommodation. It includes comprehensive CDW and with a reasonable CDW excess amount and free pu/do at the airport - so we are all fine. I'll report back on the condition of the car and hire procedure once we are back from holiday. Meanwhile, thank you for all your good pieces of advise.

Kind regards - PURPLE

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental Praslin

Drop off at Praslin Airport is amazing about 10 seconds :))) Thank you and good bye said lovely lady and took the car keys :)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental Praslin

:-)

Reply to: Car rental Praslin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Praslin Island