We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do - other islands

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
What to do - other islands

Staying At Plantaion Club in Mahe this summer and just wondering what there is to do if i get bored of the poolside sunbathing?

Have heard that u can visit other islands - is it possible to do this as a day trip?

Are there any other restaurants in this area or will i have to dine at the hotel?

San Diego, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do - other islands

I stayed at Plantation club in December 03 when my navy ship had a port visit. Beaches in the area were amazing compared to the more populated norther part of the island. However, you are far from the only major city of Victoria. The only restaurants outside of Victoria were hotel restaurants. Plantation club had 2-3 restaurants on location. All of them were a little pricey but so is everything else in the Seychelles. Drinks were also quite expensive. I recomend you stay away from the Seybrew (local beer and 1 of two available on the island). We bought the local rum and mixed it with some passion fruit we bought from a nearby convenient store. Tours could easily be arranged through the concierge. We took a boat trip around the island and all had a great time. Some other people took a day trip to Praslin and all of them thought it was well worth it.

San Diego, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do - other islands

I stayed at Plantation club during December 04 when my Navy ship had a port visit. Trips were offered through the concierge. We took advantage of a day trip around the Island of Mahe that was quite enjoyable. In addition many people were able to make it to Prislin for a day trip. Everyone I talked to that did this seemed to feel that was well worthwhile. I found Victoria a little disapointing. I wanted to buy gifts for family and was very disapointed with what they had to offer. If you are looking for something to drink stay away from the Seybrew (the local beer) I recomend finding some of the island produced rum and mixing it with some of the fantastic passion fruit juice from the island.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do - other islands

You can also book a cab and have them take you around to various sites on the island. After leaving our resort and before our evening flight, we did the same last year and it was a real treat for pennies. Just look up one of the local cab companies and call yourself.

Victoria was pleasant but certainly not worth too much time. Some good shopping and food near the town center but not enough to burn too much time with. Hops to other islands are an option so decide how adventurous you are and how much you wish to spend for the entertainment.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do - other islands

We spent 4 night in Mahe at the end of a Safari a few years ago. We did not stay at the Plantation we were at the Le Northolme (sadly now closed) at Beau Vallon. I would highly recommend buying a guide book to Mahe and then hiring a car for a couple of days, its an excellent way to escape a resort if you begin to feel claustrophobic. Roads in Mahe were pretty good, although the routes across the island are winding and narrow - think the peak district with dense rainforest. Its a beautiful island and I wish we could remember the names of all the places we visited, there is a beach in the south with huge waves, dangerous to swim in but great fun to play in the surf. It has a beach bar nearby also to get some lunch. There is a waterfall, which the drive up to is pretty tricky even with Peak roads experience, but a great way to while away an afternoon, especially as the guy that "own" it lives in, shall we say, a very eclectic place. Also there are numerous beaches to snorkel off and I heard there is also a place to go horse riding on the beach (although we never did this) and there are walking trails in the mountains which you can get maps for. I think Mahe has a lot to offer. The only thing I would recommend is not driving at night, as there are no lights and it would be easy to drive off into a ditch or worse the sea!. Police Bay was also very beautiful, but they were building the Banyan Tree resort while we were there, so maybe now you can't get to it.

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do - other islands

I would recommend www.cerf-resort.com. A friend of mine went there and said it was brilliant and well worth the money he paid.

Get answers to your questions about Mahe Island