We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hard is driving in Mahe?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
74 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
How hard is driving in Mahe?

Hello there, would like to here a car in Mahe but has doubts: never drove on the left side before.

My question is: how hard is going to be? Are the roads crowded? The driving aggressive?

Somebody not from UK...what do you think?

Povazska Bystrica...
Level Contributor
241 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

For the first time in my life I drove on the left side on Praslin and I was happy I did it before driving on Mahe. Praslin's roads are more narrow than on Mahe but far less busy. I was told by taxi driver that on Mahe is around 35000 cars and it's visible especially around Victoria where the traffic is congested and the ride is bumper on bumper. Even if you are good driver be very careful from the first second and try to practice on less crowded road ...

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
74 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

Thanks a lot. That what I was thinking also - but was not sure.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

First time abroad that we will be driving on the correct side lol

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
74 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

Yeah, the Empire crumbled...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

But will strike back!

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

The roads are narrow, single lane i would say. But be a little careful as the sides of the road has this gap, more like a step between the road and group. We witnessed a couple of cases where the car's tier got stuck there. Please there are very helpful in such cases. Cost: 500 SCR per day and petrol is 18 SCR per liter. We hired a card from Omega car rentals very close to anse royal. Car was in excellent condition. Roads are great. You slow down when people are crossing , minimal honking. Happy driving :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

Is it fair to say driving in Mahe is easier along the eastern/southern part of the island, as opposed to the busier part in Victoria/Beau Vallon?

We'll be staying at the Banyan in Anse Intendance and can't decide whether I should rent a car or not.

-Daniel

8. Re: How hard is driving in Mahe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 01, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Mahe Island