We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel/activities during Sukkot

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Travel/activities during Sukkot

Greetings Trip Advisors,

I'd like to find out how difficult it would be to travel from Nazareth to Tiberias on Sept 23 - would we be able to travel by Arab buses on that day? (Travel companion is my senior citizen mom.)

Also during Sukkot, would there be a complete shutdown of services in Tiberias? If so, how long would this be for? Any suggestions for activities? We're not into sunning ourselves by the beach. Would it be possible for us to either rent a bike to go around the lake or take a bus (or boat) to places like Kfar Nahum, Tabgha, Mt of Beatitudes?

As for the biking, I've been warned about the heat but I'm willing to chance it rather spend those days lounging at the hotel.

Would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks! :-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

The only days when things are "shut down" would be Sept. 23, 25 and 30. Other days things will be open, hours may be different, but attractions, sites will be open. Many are also open on the above dates, you need to check for specific information.

Transit from Nazareth to Tiberias on that date may be limited to taxis only.

Bikes can be rented from "Ofanei Aviv" - however, all on-line info is in Hebrew only.

The boat trip on the Sea of Galilee is a set cruise - it is not used as transportation to get from one place to another - however, as I've said you should have no trouble using buses most days and others you can take a taxi.

Enjoy!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,103 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

See for biking see http://www.bikeisrael.com/eng/

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

Don't count on Arab buses for Yom Kippur. They aren't in every area. I do not know if they exist from Nazareth to Tiberias.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

Yom Kippur is September 18th. The OP is asking about travel on the 23rd.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

Thank you for catching my error larover. I knew I can count on you.

However, the 23rd while not Yom Kippur is the first day of Succot and my answer re: Arab buses holds true. Now Larover--do you know if there are Arab buses between Nazareth and Tiberias?

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
314 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

No rdglady I don't. However since I will be staying at The American Colony which according to friends I had dinner with in Los Angeles last night is a wonderful hotel in a perfectly fine area I'd be happy to find out for the OP. The American Colony has been amazing at getting back to me via emails and it really would be best for the OP to have friendly counsel from a hotel that is in the Arab area of Jerusalem since they might know about the arab bus situation in cities close by a bit better than others.

I'll be happy to report back. Enjoy your upcoming trip to Israel.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

Keep in mind that dthe intermediate days of Sukkot are peak season in Israel. There are likely to be many tourists (both local and foreign) and attractions and hotels will be more crowded than usual. Make your reservations early!

On the plus side, there may be more special events, including more English-language tours, offered.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

I never knew there was no public transportation on holidays other than Yom Kippur and Sabbath. That must be why others thought we were talking about Yom Kippur. I imagine it is harder to get a cab on the Jewish Holidays since there is more demand.

Rover I'm glad you decided to stay at The Colony you'll love it. Why doesn't the OP try searching in the internet for arab buses or other transporation on the days there are no Israeli buses.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

Uhm, I did indicate Sukkot in the title of my original post.

I'm sorry, but knowing which companies are "Jewish" and which are "Arab" doesn't come naturally to me as someone who's never traveled to the Middle East before.

I used the Otobusim website and it shows the NTT company has bus services on Sabbath between Nazareth and Tiberias - can I assume that this is an Arab company and might have services on the first day of Sukkot?

Thank you Oreets for indicating the "shutdown" days and also for pointing out that the boat trips are not used as regular transportation. The cruise format sounds good, though :-)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel/activities during Sukkot

I'm sorry momokau I did not mean you. I meant others who seemed to get confuesed and posted that buses don't run on Yom Kippur rather than the holiday you were talking about.

I will try and do an internet search for you tomorrow. I'll PM you the results.

Get answers to your questions about Tiberias