We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

Which Tiberias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
956 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

If we were to stay at the Scots Hotel, would having a car be necessary for exploring the area? Or is there some kind of public transportation available?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

If you are staying anywhere in the Tiberias or Kinneret area, having a rental car is an enormous help. There are buses and public transportation, but many of the interesting sites are either not located near bus stops or are not serviced in a convenient way. It would be very cumbersome to tour the area using public transport. And some places, such as Gamla in the Golan (one of my favorites), would not be possible to visit using public transport.

So I would rent a car for your visit, at least that segment. And enjoy the Scots Hotel! I love the place -- just wish it had not gotten so blasted expensive. I'd love to hear what you think of it now, since I have not stayed there since October 2006. Drop me a line when you get back if you think about it.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,251 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

If you are only staying in Tiberias without any plans of really traveling around the city and general vicinity, you do not need a car. However, as Labatt said, if you plan on hiking or visiting any of the nature sites, you will need a car.

Chana

Israel

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
956 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to put together a last minute trip to Israel as an alternative to my planned vacation in Europe.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

It will be a rare visitor indeed, however, who just wants to visit sites within Tiberias. The downtown area is rather dumpy. And to go to places like some of the rabbinic gravesites within the city would involve strenuous hikes up steep slopes, so even many places within the city are difficult to access within the city without using some mode of transportation (though buses would be possible there).

Douglas Duckett

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
956 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

Doug....thanks again for this advice.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,251 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

Many people stay in Tiberias for several days and even for a week. If you need any more 'quick tips' for anywhere in Israel feel free to ask. This forum has many members who can help with your last minute plans.

Chana

Israel

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
956 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

Thank you, Chana.

8. Re: Scots hotel - do you need a car to get around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 18, 2010