We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

Which Safed hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

I'm a single female (planning a 2.5 week trip to Israel in May 2012-June2012) and hoping to travel from Tel-Aviv on a Wednesday (Via public transport) to Caesarea (Tour it) then off to Haifa on public transit (to see the Hanging Gardens). My questions are should I try to stay in a hostel in Haifa or will it be possible to travel to Safed that day (and spend the night there)? What type of public transportation is best for my plans?

I appreciate any advise!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,615 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

It's doable but it will be cumbersome and a long day.

Getting to Caesarea is not that simple by public transport. One option is by train - but then you have to take a taxi to the park and make sure you have the driver's number to get back to the train. There are also buses, but I'm not sure how frequent. You can use bus.co.il to search for transportation options and schedules.

Getting to Haifa after touring Caesarea is possible - just back track to train or bus and continue north.

When you're done there, you can take a bus to Safed - but it will be a long day and you will get to Safed rather late - if this fits your schedule great.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

In checking the Gardens website, I found the following:

There are no tours on Wednesdays.

Inner garden tours are only from 9-12

Outer garden tours are from 9-5

not sure when the shrine hours are for visitors.

The website is http://www.ganbahai.org.il/en/tours/

Dr. Z

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

Wherever you decide to stay the night make sure you have reservations in advance. Israel is not a place where you can easily "wing" it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

Shrine visiting is usually included in the tour. But coming from Caesarea you will not arrive in time to Haifa to participate in such a tour using public transportation. I would take the train from Caesarea to Haifa and get off at the Mercaz station which is walking distance to the bottom of the gardens with a fabulous view. While there go to the visitors information center for information on how to go to the top of the gardens. To Zfat you will need to take a bus to the CBS in Haifa in the Bay to get the Zfat bus which may be a bit confusing (as it was recently for myself).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

The best railway station for Caesarea is Binyamina. More trains stop there than at the station called Caesarea-Pardess Hanna, which is no closer to the site. Since Binyamina is a larger and busier station, you'll find it much easier to get a taxi there than at the other station.

Buses are few and far between, and timed to suit the locals, not tourists. There's no practical way of getting a bus to Caesarea at a time that would be suitable for you.

Buses from Haifa to Tzfat/Safed leave from Merkazit Hamifratz bus terminal, which is next to Lev Hamifratz railway station.

May-June: one thing you may or may not be aware of is that Sunday May 27 is the Jewish religious holiday of Shavuot. For all practical purposes including transport, it will be like a Shabbat.

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

I greatly appreciate the advise. I arrive May 28th in the morning; therefore I hope the observance does not complicate transportation. I decided from your insight to book a day tour through Noah Tours for Caesarea, Akko, Rosh Hanikra, Haifa from Tel Aviv. They state they pick up from major tel aviv hotels but I'm staying at the Floretine hostel. So should I just plan to take a bus to the city center or beach area hotels that morning? They pick up at 730am

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,615 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

May 28th (Mon) is just a regular day - the holiday is one day on Sunday - which means Monday is back to work and public transportation will be up and running.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

Ask for the list of hotels. The most convenient one for you is probably the Dan Panorama (not the Dan !)

We had a good review of the Florentine Hotel last year, but you could do much better in terms of location. It is relatively far from everything and not in the nicest of neighbourhoods. There are a lot of good hostels closer to the beach or in Jaffa.

9. Re: Traveling from Caesarea to Haifa to Safed...doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:41 pm, June 18, 2013