We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

Which Nazareth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tvrdosin, Slovakia
1 post
Save Topic
Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

We will be hiking the Jesus Trail, which terminates in Capernaum. From there we will go to the airport (TLV). We will arrive in Capernaum on a Friday, and our flight leaves at 4 pm on Saturday, and I see that most buses don't go during Shabbat.

First of all, when does Shabbat begin, as far as buses are concerned?

What are the options for getting from Capernaum to TLV during Shabbat? I think a taxi would be too expensive; I read something about "sheruts" - small private buses. Do they run during Shabbat?

Also, we could maybe make it to Tel Aviv on Friday evening and stay there, and just make a short airport run on Saturday. But would any transport be going to Tel Aviv Friday evening?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

There is no public transit from an hour or so before sundown on Friday until an hour or so after sundown on Saturday. You need to be at the airport at 1:00pm on Saturday.

It depends on what time your trail ends. If it is late morning or early afternoon on Friday, get a bus from Tiberias to Tel Aviv. Stay overnight in Tel Aviv and then go the the airport by taxi the next morning.

You could take a taxi directly to Ben Gurion from Tiberias on Saturday morning.

If you arrive early enough in Capernaum, you could get to Tiberias to rent a car for the day and drive yourselves to the airport the next day. It might be cheaper than a taxi.

There are not a lot of options here. The timing is awkward for you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

The last bus on Friday from Ammiad Junction (7 km north of Capernaum) is at approximately 16:30, route 840 (it comes from Kiryat Shmona) arriving in Tel Aviv at 19:48. The one before that is an hour earlier.

You should be armed with the phone number of a local taxi company to take you from Capernaum to the Ammiad Junction. Here are some, taken from the phone book – I have no experience of them.:

Sharon Bloom, 050-549-1020

Allon Tverya, 04-679-4444

Oshri Taxis, 050-635-1941

I suggest you call them the day before to check that they work on Shabbat, and will be able to pick you up. Then call again shortly before you actually need them. Tell them Kfar Nachum – they may not recognise Capernaum.

Edited because now I see you want Friday afternoon, not Saturday afternoon!

Edited: 2:05 pm, January 12, 2013
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

There are sherut taxis from Nazareth to Tel Aviv on Saturday. So another option would be to get a taxi from Capernaum to Nazareth (and, in fact, I'm pretty sure you can get a bus for most of that journey, but I don't have details). Then a sherut from Nazareth to Tel Aviv and another taxi to the airport.

I'm not saying this is an easy or convenient option, but it will certainly be cheaper than getting a taxi all the way. If you have a lot of luggage, I don't think this is a realistic option and you need to either take a taxi or look into anmejoshme's idea of renting a car.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

There are two sherut companies running from Tiberias to Tel Aviv, but I have no idea whether they run on Shabbat. It's not an automatic assumption. Some routes do, some don't.

New Line 04-6724141

Moniot Tverya 057-7502042

You would need to take a (private) taxi from Kfar Nachum to Tiberias.

Good suggestion from PRSV! And a lot of luggage is incompatible with trail hiking...

Edited: 2:14 pm, January 12, 2013
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

What time do you arrive in Capernaum on Friday ? The simplest solution is to go to Tel-aviv by bus on Friday afternoon. If that is not possible then at least stay in Tiberias on Friday night. Note that you have to be at the airport three hours before departure, ie 1 PM.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

For convenience sake I would try to rearrange your itinerary and complete the trail on Thursday or Friday morning. You must have the number of a taxi company to pick you up at Capernaum because there are few buses and wven rarer taxis driving along the highway empty. Take taxi to Tiberias and then bus to Tel Aviv by 2 p.m. This will save you alot of money on transportation but requires a change in your schedule

Chana

Israel

7. Re: Transport from Capernaum to Tel Aviv during Shabbat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 14, 2014