We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yam le Yam hike starting point

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Yam le Yam hike starting point

My brother and a friend are heading out tomorrow to do the Yam le Yam hike, but haven't fully figured out logistics yet. Does anyone know if there's a way to get from Jerusalem to Achziv via public transit?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

Why start in Achziv? Starts from Akko, this is how Israelis do it. Getting to Achziv by bus will take ages.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

I would take the 940 direct bus from Jerusalem to Haifa, then the train to Nahariya, then a local or a taxi to Achziv. It appears that Egged doesn't operate the local line out of Nahariya because there is no information on their site.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

For better planning use www.otobusim.com. The is the comprehensive website for public transport and includes all bus companies and train. For Achziv it gives bus 480 Jerusalem-Tel Aviv Merkas, train to Naharia, bus no 23 to Liman junction and walking to Achziv. For the hike, start in Akko.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

There won't be any train to Naharia until Thursday due to work on the line!!!!

Having problem with the logistic getting to Achziv are you sure you are prepered for such a hike???

Yam to Yam is done always from Achziv, up along the Kziv stream from the Mediterranean Sea to the highest pick of Mt Meron (around 1,000m above sea level) then down along Meron stream to Amud stream which takes you all the way to Genosar on the Kineret (213 below sea level).

It is done in 3 parts in 3 days:

Part 1 – up the Kziv to the area of Hurfesh

Part 2 – from Hurfesh up to Mt Meron and down to the road from Akko to Safed

Part 3 – From the road to Safed down the Meron and Amud streams to Genosar.

You MUST have a map of the marked paths of the upper Galilee.

You must know that not all the path is marked!

The beginning of the walk from the beach along the kziv to the cross of road to Shlomi is all agricultural area with not too much to enjoy, dragging your fit and crossing a lot of fences!

If you haven't done it before, or if you don't have someon experienced with you, DON'T do it!

Edited: 11:39 am, February 08, 2010
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

Thanks for the quick replies!

They have not done the hike before, but are experienced hikers, and of course have a detailed trail map. Moti, why would you say they shouldn't do the hike if they haven't before, what would you be worried about? If the train isn't running, does anyone have another suggestion about how to get there?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

Take the bus from Haifa to Nahariya

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

Well shoshandmarc, from the way you asked I got the idea that they haven't done their homework.

A lot to be plan in advance before going on a 3 days hike. To decide how to get to the starting point is the last thing to think about,

Few points for thinking?

Here you are:

You must get to the starting point at least the evening before so you'll be able to start early and finish the first part in one day. It is getting dark early now and you'll need to be out of the stream before 16:00. You cannot sleep in the nature reserve so you must finish each part in one day, it is planned to reach a place where you can sleep each night.

It is not summer but, how much water are they going to carry? In today's weather you'll must have 6-8 liters of water for each day. At the end of day one you must get to Hurfesh for water refill. At the end of day 2 you reach the Nahal Meron camping area where you can sleep and refill water.

Water alone means 6-8 kg, what about the rest of the things: food, warm cloths to the night, sleeping bag etc…

usually when you do Yam to Yam you have backup that follow you with a car to meeting point so you don't have to worry about water and weight.

And I can give you a lot of more thing that have to be taken into consideration before such a hike!!!

There is a lot of information about how to do Yam to Yam on the web but it is all in Hebrew.

Maybe I got the wrong impression but from you wrote here I don't think that those 2 have done the homework needed to be done before a Yam to Yam trip.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

Moti, I really appreciate your help, however sometimes your replies on this forum come across as a bit condescending. I know that some of it is probably the language barrier, but honestly there's no reason to speak to people like that. I see it constantly in your posts, and seriously it's a bit uncalled for. Just tone it down and try and be nice!! I know what goes into a multi-day hiking trip, as does my brother. It's only a 3 day hike, nothing compared to some hiking trips my brother's done, and I've done. While one way to do a multi-day hiking trip is to have a car follow you, many people feel that takes away from the hike and would prefer to do the trip on their own.

Thank you for telling us about the construction on the train as was our original question. After realizing how long it will take them to get there, they're going to spend the day tomorrow in Haifa and start the hike the next morning.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

Moti is not condescending. He writes Hebrew in English words. His posts are correct and informative and we should thank him for posting. He shares his vast knowledge with us and I appreciate that very much.

Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yam le Yam hike starting point

I don't think Moti sounded condescending at all. He doesn't know how experienced you are and is just pointing out some of the things that must be taken into consideration. A lot of other people besides you is going to read this post and learn from it.

Get answers to your questions about Nahariya
More Nahariya Topics