We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Hi all,

I was looking into staying at Kfar Blum in August (yeah, I know). The prices on the hotel's website were in the range of US$430/night per room for a family of 5 (2 adults + 3 children).

Seems kind of high to me... I wanted a "sanity check" from my fellow travellers: Is this a upper-limit "rack rate" that nobody actually pays, or is this really the going rate?

If the latter, I would like recommendations for more moderately-priced alternatives in the Golan/Galil. We have never been to HaGoshrim, Vered HaGalil, etc. Kids ages 3-9.

16 replies to this topic
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Hi Indigo - I checked on Booking.com. No availability for 14-15 Aug, so they had other offers. Vered Hagalil is more expensive, over 500$ per night for a family of 5. I checked with VAT. Kibbutz Parod was another offer for 1000 shekels per night. Nothing sane for sure. If we consider all the expenses it might be cheaper to go for a few day to Italy (fly&drive).

Edited: 6:28 am, April 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

shosh,

Okay, so I am not (necessarily) losing my mind -- these prices are high.

LOL -- I started looking into the Kfar Blum idea as an alternative to a European trip (to Amsterdam, admittedly more $ than Italy) once the prices for flights seemed quite high. 5 airline tickets are not cheap.

I'm open to ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Italy
Italy
Europe
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

I would venture to guess these places feel that they can get the foreign tourist during these time periods so they are going for it. I wonder how many Israelis are there during August!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

rdglady - August is the time of the Israelis. We are used to pay these horrible prices, not the tourists and we also pay VAT. Plain insanity but maybe things are changing...all the talk about middle class, who knows?

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Well, I guess we will downsize to a nice family zimmer in a lovely green moshav or kibbutz. I'd like a place where the kids can have some nice green space to run around.

I'm looking at Bar-Ohn zimmers in Amirim, which look promising. If anyone had ideas for places further north, mamash in the Golan, I'm open to hearing your recommendations. We'll be staying over shabbat, so we need some sort of kosher food on-site, or some way to warm up take-away in our kitchen.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,356 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Moshav Avnei Eitan has two options for zimmers in the Golan, it is a dati moshav which answers many of your questions - I have heard positive feedback about both but have not stayed there. One of them also says they can arrange catered meals for Shabbat, obviously kosher.

Look for Noach Ba-Golan נח בגולן

Eden Mi-Kedem עדן מקדם

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,201 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Shoshi--I know that Israelis take vacation in August ( I am in Israel every August--remember) However, the ones who can best afford these prices are tourists. Yes, some israelis DO afford them, so they go--and re: VAT, many places have different pricing structures for Israelis and tourists, so even paying VAT you come out ahead. ( not saying that Kfar Blum does, but please...)

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

Thx Oreets.

I'll look into the places you suggested. Although I must say the astroturf lawn in the Eden Mi-Kedem photos does not look promising... (I think someplace calling itself "Eden Mi-Kedem" should have real greenery!)

I'm looking for a place with some open green space for the kids to play; not a small cabin wedged into someone backyard.

I don't need a 100% religious atmosphere (although I have no objections to it), just someplace where I can get some kosher food on Shabbat or warm up take-away. We can even schlepp our own plata along if need be.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

I have a brother in Kibbutz Yiron, and they have guests rooms at reasonable prices. It is a beautiful Kibbutz with some activities. Keep in mind that August is high season because of us Israelis travelling to the north. And yes, we pay also very high prices. Ask my wife, that although we can stay with my brother at the Kibbutz for free, she likes the hotel "atmosphere" and will pay 2,000 ILS per night at Kfar Blum...

Another option is Field Schools. We stayed two years ago in Hermon Field School. A great location, near the Banyas, and very reasonable prices. Meir

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check

The Hermon Field School is a great option but will be very busy. As a tourist, I can tell you that many North Americans are traveling in July and August because the kids are out of school. Canadians don't go back to school until September. In my line of work, (non-profit community work), August is downtime and I can get away for holidays. As a result, I have been in Israel the last 5 Augusts as a tourist and the prices are so ridiculous for accommodation! The north especially is packed with Israelis as well as the foreign tour groups so hotels seem to be able to charge pretty much what they want since everything seems to be full to the rafters. Kibbutz HaGoshrim is a good option. Not as expensive as Kfar Blum, by a long shot, and it has evening activities for families and children including things like night nature walks, movies in the woods, etc. There are also a couple of 'apartment' rentals in the area which are considerably cheaper. Not fancy but with outside space. I have seen at least 3 advertisements in the past few months. In August, I always stay with friends when visiting the Galilee. The larger hotels are out of my price range for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Galilee
Galilee
Northern District, Israel
Reply to: Kfar Blum prices - sanity check
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kfar Blum