We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Jordan - need advice

Cortez
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Jordan - need advice

My family and I are traveling to Israel for the first time and want to hop over to Jordan to take in a few sights. I've read about Wadi Rum, Petra, Lot's cave, and Jerash. If we cross over at Eliat and return via the King's Bridge (?), will we have problems coming in that way? (We don't have visas and I've read you cannot get one at this crossing)

Additionally, we only speak English. Are there buses that run between these places and are we going to have a difficult time finding our way around? Is it safe? Are there other sights we should see? Any places to stay recommended?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
5 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Jordan - need advice

By "King's Bridge" I assume you mean the King Hussein/Allenby Bridge. For visitors entering Jordan at that crossing, visas must be arranged in advance. But you will be entering Israel at that crossing. What is your nationality? You should be aware that the Allenby Bridge crossing is notorious for long delays and you could be stuck there for hours. If by chance you are planning on catching a flight out of Ben-Gurion (Tel Aviv) airport the same day, that is a really bad idea.

But you should post your questions about Jordan on the Jordan forum. This is Israel. You've posted in Jordan Valley, which is an area in Israel.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Jordan - need advice

If you visit Jerash you can cross back to Israel at the Beit Shean border crossing. You'll get your visa at the Eilat/Aquaba border crossing when you cross to Jordan. For details post on the Jordanian forum. Or, look at the website of Eco Desert Touts that offer tours in Jordan. The guides will be Jordanians.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
CT
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Jordan - need advice

Hiya! Traveling in both Israel und Jordan is safe und relatively simple. You will not have significant difficulties, language-wise, as well. Regarding visas, what is your actual nationality? Visas should not be a problem to obtain at the Eilat/Aqaba border, however it does also depend upon nationality.

And as already mentioned, if you are crossing from Jordan to Israel at the King Hussein/Allenby bridge, you do not need to prearrange an Israel visa (again, depending upon citizenship, which is presumably alright in your situation). The other way around indeed requires prearrangement of the Jordan visa.

Also, note that the northern land border that Shoshi mentioned is called, on the Jordanian side, the Sheikh Hussein border. This is just a heads up to avoid any confusion when you either see or hear the names of these two borders!

Please post in the Jordan forum for more advice regarding Jordan, as both Shuffaluff und Shoshi recommended. Take care und have a great hols! Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
Cortez
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Jordan - need advice

Thank you for the replies. I thought I was in the Jordan forum as I didn't realize there was a Jordan Valley in Israel.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,024 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Jordan - need advice

The Jordan Valley is the valley of the River Jordan (well, that isn't really surprising!). The River Jordan runs north to south, ending in the Dead Sea, and forms the border between Israel and (the country of) Jordan. This will be clear if you look at a map:

yalibnan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Jord…

The "Jordan Valley" forum here means the Israeli side of the River Jordan.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,885 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Reply to: First visit to Jordan - need advice