We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)

Apeldoorn, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)

Having read that it is both safe and beauiful to take from Beit She'an to Jerusalem route 90 / 1 with our rental car I am looking for some scenic spots to stretch our legs. Any suggestions? I also consider to continue route 90 at the crossing with route 1 a little further south to get (close to) to the lowest point on earth at the Dead Sea. So any stops at the northern shore are also welcome.

We plan to do this travel in about 1/2 a day to arrive on time for Shabbat in Jerusalem, knowing that there is likely more to see than we have time for. Not even have started our vacation it feels as if we need to come back soon ;-).

4 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)

Stop at Mifgash Habika. It is located just past a small rest stop with a Sonol petrol station on the right. The turnoff is about 150 meters south of the exit to this area on a narrow road. If you get to a wide road you passed the turn off which cannot be turned into while traveling north.

Stop also at Kasr Al-Yehud to see the Jordan River where Joshua crossed into the Promised Land and Jesys was Baptized. If turn right and travel about 10 mnutes you can either go to Qalya Beach ir go up to Qumran for a nice view of this section of the Dead Sea.

Chana

Israel

Apeldoorn, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)

Thank you very much for your very helpful suggestions. It made me checking some google maps. I've found this link: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms… which also suggests after 18,5 km from the controlpost take a right for an outlook over the Jordan river.

https://maps.google.com/maps… I also found Mifgash Habika, almost 11 km from the crossing with route 57. In fact, the itinerary above

mentions between the crossing with route 57 and Mifgash Habika a photo location. From icon and location I would conclude that one has to take a little walk. Is this safe to do?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)

Safe from what point of view? The area is under full Israeli control, so yes, as far as that's concerned it's safe. Traffic? Use your common sense. Climbing hills? Likewise!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)

You will climb a short hill with the car toward a monument in memory of those who lost their lives defending the country from the Jordan Valley. You can't miss it, as it's real big. You can climb up to the monument on a very steep paved walkway which has a fantastic view of the Jordan Valley. Just remember to turn right before the main road. The narrow road is inconspicuous and easy to miss.

And yes, it's safe. I would never recommend something that isn't.

Chana

Israel

Reply to: Scenic spots along the Jordan Highway (Route 90)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted