We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

New baby grandchild due in June. We are on tour of 'usual' sites (eg Jerusalem, Nazareth, Bethlehem, Caesarea,etc) after Easter/Passover and would like to buy holy water for christening to bring back to UK Please could anyone advise where to buy. I have looked on internet and found various US sites which sell Jordan water, but more meaningful to buy locally in Israel

Thanks for any help and advice

Hope I am posting on correct Israel site - please advise if not

12 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,975 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

If you are going to be near the Jordan River-take an empty water bottle and fill it up! ( and put it in your checked suitcase)

I dont know where you can buy it--others might--and this posting location is fine. People who read the forums usually just read the "Israel Forum" , not subforums.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

You can buy it in the Christian quarter in Old Jerusalem but seriously, do as rdglady says. Just fill an empty water bottle from the Jordan. If you are on Christian tour, they must be stopping by the Jordan somewhere.

The best places to do this are north of the Sea of Galilee or at the Baptismal site just south of the Sea of Galilee. It won't cost you a penny and you will get lots of water. You can have any priest bless it if you want 'blessed' holy water.

What a special gift for your grandchild, even more so if you collect it yourself.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

I've brought water back for baptisms several times. It just be common, because it has never been an issue at the airport. two suggestions:

1. Take a Nalgene bottle with you. They don't leak and can take a lot of abuse. No sense in going to the effort to do this and have the water spill in your luggage. Get one that is clear, or at least easy to see into.

2. At some point you need to filter the water, both because it is often full of organic material and because algae will grow in it it you don't. I use a water purifier that is sold for backpackers and it works great.

People love being baptized in Jordan River water.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

All noted - and thanks to you all for helpful advice

Regards, Brenda

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

I just came back from Israel and had !!! trouble with Jordan water at the airport, so had other tourists. We had filled a water bottle at the Baptism site and had put it into the suitcase. After the x-ray at Ben Gurion airpor we were pulled out, questioned about the bottle and told, that we are not allowed to take Jordan water out of the country.

If you still want to try it, do as told: buy a water bottle in Israel, empty it and put in Jordan water in yourself. In Jerusalem they supposed to sell normal tab water for Jordan water, so you never know.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

Carina, am I missing something here?

You had filled a bottle at the baptism site. You were told at the airport that you're not allowed to take Jordan water out of the country. You say you should buy a bottle of water, empty it and put Jordan water in yourself. But isn't that what you did?

UK
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

shuff - maybe means the label on the water bottle - maybe had a german one!

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

I do realize things change, but I have brought Jordan water back three times (and Dead Sea water too). While I have had to do secondary inspection, it was not for the water.

If this is now the case, it is new policy.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,975 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

Was it in your checked luggage or carryon luggage?

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism

Hi Should have posted on what happened during holiday. We went to the Church of the Multiplication at Tabgha on Sea of Galilee and the church gift shop was selling sealed bottles of Jordan water. Actually a bigger bottle than those available in the bazaar as part of a 'gift set', and I thought that buying it there should, (hopefully!), mean that it would be genuine Brought it home in checked luggage with no problems at theairport

Reply to: Buying Jordan water for Christian baptism
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted