We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Food in Jerusalem

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Hi, we are looking a restaurant with traditional Jewish food. Could anyone recommend me any (not very expensive one?)

Thanks for any help.

29 replies to this topic
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Thanks I know about matzah. I've been googling more sites about the Eucalyptus and it looks like the chef there lectures on cooking so I am now pretty sure he is bound to know what options he has for coeliacs. I think we would probably walk past the place and check in person when making a booking. It looks like its close to the Jaffa Gate that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,436 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Sounds like a plan. It is to your left across the street from Jaffa Gate. Check opening times before going over, so you won't be disappointed.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Thanks, Chana. :)

I just found this page which gives some of his Passover recipes:

…forward.com/the-jew-and-the-carrot/…

There is a link from that page which goes to a good description of him gathering his herbs and other food items from the countryside.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Friends, you have steered so off topic. None of this has anything to do with "traditional Jewish" food the OP asked about.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Yeah, but the OP started the thread almost 2 years ago, whereas the questions about Eucalyptus in this same thread are more recent.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

And the food there looks so traditional.......

According to this page they even served locusts last Passover...... That's so traditional that even John tha Baptist ate that 2000 years ago in Israel. ;)

jpost.com/National-News/Locusts-A-plague-or-…

(Sorry about the divert into gluten issues though - its a nuisance being coeliac.)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

We frequently steer off topic. Note the OP asked about traditional food in November 2011. That is over 1.5 years ago. I do not think the OP is going to be upset! Then in post # 10 someone posted a few days ago and slightly changed the topic.

Edited: 4:56 am, August 16, 2013
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

The crazy chef is Eyal Shani. He is the one that goes to collect herbs etc... or at least he used to when he was in Jerusalem. Now he has at least two restaurants in Tel Aviv. Some are very expensive, one is reasonable. That one is on Ibn Gvirol and Dizengof and serves everything in a pita.

Jerusalem, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Traditional Food in Jerusalem

Oh, my, oh, my... yes, it is it! The Eucalyptus! Thank you all for your help! I wouldn't find it without your help, really. My fiancee is very happy too.

Reply to: Traditional Food in Jerusalem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted