We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

My husband is visiting the beach area of Herzlia for a few days business on his way to Europe. I am thinking of going along with him, but will be on my own during the day and maybe a night or two for dinner while he is out with clients.

I have travelled a lot, been out and about on my own in Shanghai and a good variety of European, Australasian and American cities.

Never been to Israel so not sure what to expect.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Many woman travel around the country on their own. Israel was recently noted as being one of the top 10 safest countries in the world. From Herzlia you can take day trips to Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Caesarea either in a car or with a daily guided tour. Tel Aviv can actually be done on your own -- there are free guided tours in that city during the day. You can visit museums. We have an excellent inexpensive public transportation as well as taxis to take you from place to place. If you are out in the evenings with your husband you will see many people walking around along and during the day small children (as young as 6-7) outside without an adult.

Come and enjoy, you will not be sorry.

Chana

Israel

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

No problem walking alone day and night. Same with dinning. I dine sometimes on my own too. There are several great restaurants in Herzelia, and of course in Tel Aviv. If you tell us what your interests are we can suggest where to go.

See this recent thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297747-i12286-k51…

You can also take a day trip to Jerusalem using public transport.

Edited: 3:04 am, February 10, 2012
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

Chiming in to reassure you that you have nothing to worry about - all you need is the same basic common sense you would use anywhere else. You will find a modern, vibrant, Western country and you will have a great time.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,931 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

This single, currently middle aged women has been traveling to and now living part time in israel for the past 40+ years. You can basically go and do anything you want on your own here. In fact, it isn't necessary to rent a car, use a taxi or a guide--unless that is what you want to do. It is easy, inexpensive and safe to use public transportation. Once here you will laugh at your earlier fears.

Inasmuch as both you and your husband will be here, if at all possible try to extend your trip so both of you can enjoy some Israel together.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
38 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

Thank you everyone for you helpful and informative replies :) I usually use public transport when I am in a country so will definitely do so during my trip to Israel. I was wanting to venture further afield than the beach and you have given me some great ideas for day trips too. I'm really looking forward to my visit now.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

I am North American, married, middle aged woman who has traveled to Israel with my family or by myself (more recently have been going on my own for conferences, meetings, or to visit friends) many times. Like everyone else says, it is a safe country. I usually take public transit and find it reliable, comfortable and dirt cheap. Eating alone is fine too. Never had anyone 'bother' me. Israel is a fantastic country to visit and especially so for women traveling alone. You will have a great time while your husband is 'stuck' in his meetings.

Although I am saying the same thing as everyone else, all the others on the forum are Israelis, ( I include rdglady in that in that she actually lives there parttime) and I can say strictly as a tourist that my experience reflects what they say.

There is a ton to do in Tel Aviv, you could go north to see the underground crusader city at Akko, you can do day trips to Jerusalem, Ceasarea is quite fantastic and has beach, ruins, a few galleries and lovely restaurants.

7. Re: Is it safe for a foreign woman on her own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, May 18, 2015