We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Caesarea
Search

Luggage in car at Caesaria

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
5 helpful votes
Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

I'm curious about other opinions on leaving luggage in the car at Caesaria. We're planning to drive from Tel Aviv to Caesaria, then on to Haifa for the night, so of course we will have our luggage. Douglas (Lablatt) in his guide to Israel, suggests that if you can't stay within sight of your car, to consider dropping your luggage in Haifa, then doubling back to Caesaria, because of the high rate of car break-ins there. Is that the consensus?

We're thinking about doing the snorkel tour of the harbor, and even if we don't, I really don't want to have to watch our stuff in the car the whole time we're there. That sounds unpleasant. What's our best bet with this? Drop stuff at the hotel in Haifa (will they let us drop it off before our reservation?), adding an extra hour plus driving depending on traffic? (It will be Sunday morning). Is it okay to leave it in the car?

Does it depend on whether we have a trunk or a hatchback? I'm considering renting a Honda Jazz Hybrid type car for saving on gas, so that would be a hatchback, and more susceptible to theft, I would think. Is a hatchback a bad idea for cases where we need to leave luggage in the car while touring? (Specifically, that will probably be the case in Rosh HaNikra, parts of the galilee, Caesarea, the dead sea, and sde boker.)

What's the consensus on this? Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee Region, Israel
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
63 reviews
52 helpful votes
1. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

I don't know how much gas you will save with the hybrid car, the renting price might be higher, so no gain. Having a car with enough luggage space is better. The thefts at the Caesaria parking lot are not so bad anymore. Try to park close to the ticket office. We did not get reports of thefts on the other sites you mentioned.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,247 posts
245 reviews
223 helpful votes
2. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

I agree -- and note the same in my guide. If you park near the ticket office (easy to do), I would not worry too much. I would keep the car in sight if you go to the Aqueduct (which you should), but that is very easy to do even as you walk about that area.

Douglas Duckett

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

My concern is that we planned to snorkle the port, renting from http://caesarea-diving.com/En/index.asp and there definitely would be no way to keep the car in sight while snorkleing. But it sounds like if we park near the ticket office, it's not a big concern these days?

Edited: 2:36 am, March 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,247 posts
245 reviews
223 helpful votes
4. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

I think that's correct. There were always more problems at the northern site, near the Aqueduct. If you park near the ticket office, which is heavily trafficked and of course is staffed, you should be fine. It's a risk I'd be willing to take, and I did on my last trip. An alternative might be to ask the place you are renting the equipment from if they could store your luggage for a few hours, but I have no idea how much space they have.

Douglas Duckett

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
18 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

I parked near the ticket office in 2011 with a hatchback with no troubles. Just use something to cover your bags if you can.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
188 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

Based on the experience of my clients, skip the snorkeling at Caesarea. There simply is nothing really to see there in the Med. If you want to snorkel, do so at the Coral Reef Nature Reserve in the Red Sea.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria
Save

Okay thanks everyone. Dave, good to know the snorkeling isn't very good there. We won't be making it down to Eilat this trip, that will have to wait for the next one.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

8. Re: Luggage in car at Caesaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, May 02, 2016