We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advisor Report #16

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
Trip Advisor Report #16
Save

Dear Friends,

We left mid-morning and drove through Haifa on our way to Caesarea. I feel badly giving short-shrift to a city that many of you, especially Douglas Duckett in his very helpful guide, speak so highly about. But I'm realizing that here toward the end of this *first* trip to Israel, we have to make some choices.....unfortunately! I will say that I liked the feel of Haifa, especially its being a seaside city. It must be said that the traffic was quite heavy, but I wonder if that was primarily because there is a lot of road construction taking place in the city now. I look forward to exploring the city in much more depth when I return. (Actually, I think that on the next visit, we have to spend much more time on the coast.)

I have noted over the course of the past few months that many Trip Advisor posters are curious about what sites are particularly good choices to bring children. Caesarea, I think, would be a really nice place for kids of pretty much all ages. There is a lot of room to run around. The ruins are interesting, and you can really take in as many as you want. The two media productions, especially the second which uses high tech to layer images of what the city looked like under the Romans on to superimpose on images of what you see today was fascinating. And the woman who talked us through that presentation was a pure delight.

We ate a nice lunch, overlooking the water (you know by now that we love being outside), and we stayed to relax for quite some time. We then continued to explore the archeological site, making sure not to miss the impressive aqueduct north of the main park.

The park is different from others that we have visited here. It feels almost as if a resort/artist village was plunked down in the middle of the ruins. It's quite well done, I must say.

We had thought to go wine tasting in Zikhron Ya'akov, but we realized that we had "tasted" quite enough last night, thank you! We are all a bit tired (can't imagine why??? smile!), so I actually cancelled our reservations at a highly recommended restaurant in Akko to eat lightly and get to bed early. We're off tomorrow for Tel Aviv/Yafo! Good evening/Good morning, all!

take care, Tip

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
17 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Advisor Report #16
Save

You certainly had the perfect weather today and it must have been great sitting by the shore.

Note to others: If you are not stopping in Haifa and you don't want to pay for the Carmel Tunnel, take Hwy 70 via Yokneam to bypass the city. It's a scenic ride around and through the southern Carmel range.

BTW, a new highway is currently under construction that will go from the "Checkpost" junction (the exit from the Carmel Tunnel), bypass Kiryat Ata to the east and rejoin Hwy 4 north of Kiryat Bialik.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
22,735 posts
127 reviews
53 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Advisor Report #16
Save

I see you're having an early day - you must be quite worn out by now with everything you have seen and done.

Yes, you are quickly adding to your list of places for next time, only emphasizing what we all say here - for a tiny country there is so much to see and do here.

Make sure to keep Zichron Yaakov on that list - not just for wine tastings but to see the refurbished original main street and all the wonderful crafts shops there.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
752 posts
71 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Advisor Report #16
Save

I do hope our paths cross ! But I fear we are trading places. We go to casserra tomorrow!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee Region, Israel
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
63 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Advisor Report #16
Save

Almost no ruins in Tel Aviv, just a few in Jaffa. Its a modern, very lively city. The change will invigorate you, keep you interested, hungry and thirsty (smile). Did you plan a concert, show, art galleries?

Australia
Level Contributor
448 posts
55 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Advisor Report #16
Save

Sigh! Wish I were there now. Sounds like a relaxing day to catch up on everything that you have experienced.

6. Re: Trip Advisor Report #16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 pm, September 17, 2019