We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akko without a private guide?

new jersey
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Akko without a private guide?

My husband has a free day when we are in Haifa and he really enjoys history and archeology. Is it possible to go to Akko without a car and also to enjoy it without a guide?

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,422 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akko without a private guide?

Yes - take the train from Haifa to Akko (about 25 minutes) and then take a taxi for the short ride to the Visitor's Center in the Old City. You can buy an inclusive ticket for all sites, including self-guiding headphones:

akko.org.il/english/VisitorCenter/default.asp

You can check the train schedules at :

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akko without a private guide?

No problem going on your own as mbgg pointed out. With the audio guide you will get to most of the city sites. The one place it does not include but is worth a visit is the Akko priso. This important site is located inside the area you will tour with the audio guide but is a separate entity run by the Ministry of Defense (it's not open on Saturday/holidays) and explains a bit more of the modern aspects of Akko during the British Mandate.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akko without a private guide?

One small remark adding to the great advices you alreasy got - ask for a map of Akko and the sites included in the cobmo ticket and go to the visitor center inself for a brief explanation of what you will see. Many times the vendor at the ticket booth forgets to mention these.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akko without a private guide?

One more note, a combo ticket which costs 79 shekels include Rosh Hanikra which is also very well worth a visit. However, you cannot get there by train or bus but can take the train to Nahariya and a taxi or a bus going to Shlomi which will let you off about 2 km from the site and then walk (not recommended because there is no sidewalk).

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akko without a private guide?

I am one of those on the forum who pushes back against those who think a guide is essential everywhere.

That said, if you have one day to explore, and want to see as much as possible with real information about archeology, I'd splurge and hire a driving guide. If your husband has a passion for archeology, he'll get more information about what he was seeing. (Consider checking out Zippori that day.) Akko can be a bewildering maze (though I have done it several times without a guide). And if you won't have a car, Rosh Ha-Niqra is very tough to visit using public transport. I'd start the morning in Akko, go to Zippori, and see Rosh Ha-Niqra late in the day before heading back. A great day!

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Rosh ha-Niqra
Rosh ha-Niqra
170 Reviews
Israel
new jersey
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akko without a private guide?

thanks everyone. Doug, it's an idea worth thinking about but we are hiring a guide for Tsfat and Jerusalem so I have to look at the budget! How can I find a guide that specializes in Akko?

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akko without a private guide?

jc760 I suggest asking the guide you are using for Zfat if they are available for Akko as well or if he/she has a recommendation for a guide for that city.

Doug I would suggest consulting a map when suggesting an itinerary. Rosh Hanikra is north of Akko , Zippori is over an hours drive south of Akko.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,422 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akko without a private guide?

In the news today:

…yahoo.com/s/…ml_israel_crusader_city

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akko without a private guide?

Doug, You mentioned Akko first then North to Rosh Hanikra. I was planning the opposite. I have a car and am staying in Tiberias. Was thinking of this as a day trip. Should I reconsider the order? What advantage/disadvantage is there to Akko first? Thanks for any and all comments.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Tiberias
Tiberias
Galilee, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Akko without a private guide?

Mike - you can do it in any order. Where are you going next?

If you have more questions open a new thread.