We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card fraud?

western australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
300 reviews
Credit card fraud?

Hi

Anyone been to Lombok recently who has encountered issues with their CC being used fraudulently? We have been back 3 weeks, last night had about $4000 worth of transactions on my card from purchases made on USA companies- markets, electronics, health food supplements, etc.

Just wondering if there might be a trend to investigate?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Credit card fraud?

Never had an issue in Lombok, Bali can be a problem. Where did you use your card?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Credit card fraud?

@gillg - Never had a problem with this in Indonesia but am also aware this kind of problem does happen. Who did you hand out your credit card information to? What online websites did you use to book?

Have you also kept any receipts or invoices from your stay?

Have a look at this past post for any listed websites you may have used:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297733-i9237-k…

Edited: 6:27 pm, March 30, 2014
western australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
300 reviews
3. Re: Credit card fraud?

Well, glad to here it's not a widespread lombok issue. I use my card a lot online and have booked a lot of flights and accommodation online recently for several different countries so who knows... My mastercard hasn't been compromised at all.

The bank is dealing with it but it is annoying.

Thanks for your responses.

Gill

1 post
4. Re: Credit card fraud?

fraudulent /money changers in bali ! Unregistered money changers some times advertise the highest exchange rate to attract victims who are then given lesser denomination notes e.g. 2000rp instead of 20000rp Be aware! do your own calculations ! Always double check the amount you were given before you leave ! Devious sleight of hand tricks abound just like card tricks they can make your money disappear while you are looking away !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Credit card fraud?

RobertF first, this post is about credit card fraud and you are talking about changing money. Sleight of hand and other tricks is a well known problem in Bali in the Kuta/Legian area but I have never, not once, heard of it happening in Lombok in 20 years of visiting and/or living in Lombok.

6. Re: Credit card fraud?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2015