We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Lombok in June this year. We would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the following:-

(i) Are we crazy if we bring our two sons (aged 9& 11) up Mt Rinjani? Will it be too difficult/dangerous for them? The two of them do a lot of sports and some short distance trekking (1-2 hours);

(ii) Is it safe if we leave them at the rim and we continue to go up the summit?

(iii) Compare to Mt Kinabalu in Sabah, which is more difficult?

(iv) Any recommendation of agency who has more experience with children?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

The climb is difficult IMHO.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

This is not a climb for children

Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

My brother is 34 and very fit he just completed climb and said it was the hardest thing his ever done !

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

I've been looking at this hike myself for our family including our kids aged 10 & 13. After a bit of research into trekking companies and tour options I came up with this one:

lombok-tourism.com/rinjanicraterrim_package.…

It's a 2D/1N crater rim option (rather than the summit) but is recommended for beginners or families with children (minimum age 10, whether you can convince them to take a 9yo I don't know). If you are determined to go to the summit, beware there are a couple of routes - starting at either Sembalun Lawang or Senaru although the final 3hr push to the summit is via the same track. The Sembalun route is considered the easier one.

Hope this helps. I'll be following this thread with interest to see what other comments you receive.

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

I have never done the climb but have had countless guests stay with me having just completed it. and all comment on how difficult it is.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

Climbin Mt Rinjani is no easy feat! Whether you want to bring your boys is up to you. Just know there are 4 main pit stops along the way in case you don't make the climb in 1 day there are alternative options.

We completed the climb a couple of years back, 8 hours ascension & 4 hours descension. The remainder of the trip was spent relaxing on Gili T with daily massages for all the lactic acid buildup & muscle repair:

…blogspot.com/2013/07/mt-rinjani.html

Edited: 5:43 pm, February 09, 2014
Malaysia
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

Thank you all for the advice.

Flatdog, when are you bringing your children to Lombok? Maybe we could exchange notes.

I know the summit wont be easy, I was thinking maybe we could just get to the crater rim but looking at Christopher's comments, that may not be advisable too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

nerviousmum, it is 8 hrs trek to the crater rim. To do the summit you get up very, very early the next morning in the dark and climb to the summit.

If you are seriously considering this you should start a program of hiking for you and your kids to get in condition for a serious 8 hour climbing trek. Your kids being able to do 1-2 hour hikes just won't be adequate training for such a venture.

Seriously, this is something for fit adults. The only way children should be included is if they are very well prepared. Be advised that people REGULARLY get injured on this trek, and there have been deaths (although mostly from Indonesians not wanting to pay for a guide and getting themselves into trouble, the worst in my memory being 9 students who died of exposure a few years back)

If you are looking for some good treking that is not as demanding there are plenty of good hikes to be had around the Pusuk pass region where you can hike through rainforrest, see monkeys etc. Still need to be fit, but you are walking and climbing for 2-3 hours, not climbing on slippery shale for 8 hours.

Jakarta, Indonesia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

its possible for kids that age to do the rim. i saw a canadian with his son at 8 years old...

for summit??? hhmmmm the people above had speak a truth.

pm me if you need a contact for tour guide to rinjani

greetings

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mt Rinjani for 9 & 11 years old boys?

Hi nerviousmum. We'll be in Lombok between 22 - 27 July inclusive. Even though our kids already have several overnight hikes with full packs to their credit, we've ruled out doing the summit hike. Our 13 yo is as fit as a fiddle, proobably fitter than most adults, and since we can use porters he wouldn't be carrying a pack, so I've no doubt he could do the summit climb. But I don't think our 10 yo is ready for it. So we're pretty set on doing the crater rim hike but will wait until we arrive in Lombok to book it. Happy to exchange notes whoever goes first.