We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

Great street appeal for the Western tourists with more staff than you can poke a stick at. Unfortunately none of them are any good or attentive. Had to get our own menus and after fifteen minutes on the first floor saw a waiter and ordered beer. No large bintang! Not sure whether they told the truth about the beer but did see someone else with a large beer....could have been different brand but they didn't tell us.

So ordered small bintang and pizzas. Ah no pizzas during day only night time. Nearly finished beer and ready to go and saw other customer with pizza. Told waiter ten minutes when they finally turned up again. So ordered pizza...... (and beer) again. After one hour of waiting asked again.... Beer finally came. Tend minutes later asked again about pizza. Told it would be another hour!!!!! Moved down the road to Lotus Bay view and ordered pizzas which were super yummy and served in ten minutes from ordering. Definitely come back and highly recommend.

Level Contributor
392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

That's a shame that you didn't have a good experience there. I have been meaning to try them out but haven't made it in yet. Their signs on the street are entertaining and it looks great from the footpath, perhaps you were there on an "off" morning. There are plenty of other great places to eat nearby, as you discovered.

Edited: 4:33 am, August 09, 2013
Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

If this was in the last day or two it could be because they were short staffed due to Idul Fitrie - which could mean limited menu and delays. Yesterday in Kuta, very few restaurants were open, those that were were were operating with less staff, offering a limited menu and I even had a word with my favourite place about the quality of the food - but I understand they did not have their regular cooks. I would give them another chance if most reports are usually good.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

They were certainly not short staffed. There were more staff than patrons. It was just simply badly organised with clueless staff.

I do understand the religious festival and the reduced staff and therefore service but to wait an hour for beer and the expectation that we would wait over two hours for pizza is absurd.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

Are you sure they were staff and not just locals hanging around? Seems strange you say plenty of staff but didn't see anyone to place an order. Most people have idul fitri off, sometimes family and friends come and try to cover the missing staff. This really does sound like what happens on this few days of the year, really they would be better off closing than to frustrate diners like happened to you especially when other places were open.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

As an example where I ate their meat supplier was standing in as a waiter.... as well as family of the owners who do not usually work.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

And likely the cook was a stand-in too, or at the very least severely undermined kitchen. Last idol fitri i waited over an hour for a burger and nearly 30 mins for my first drink to arrive, at a restaurant where the previous day i waited over10 mins and it was packed. I still don't really get why they do it, better just to close

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,663 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

You may want to consider writing a review rather than a forum post

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1592993…

I've visited Taman a couple of times and had a completely different experience, but you never know, it just takes a change of chef or staff in some places.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

I suppose if everywhere closed then there would be nowhere for the tourists to eat. So we end up with a couple of places open, limited staff and menu and worse service but usually only for one or two days.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

There would always a few places open in the Senggigi area, some are mostly staffed by Balinese so are not on holidays, or they are operated by westerners who manage to keep the standards up one way or another. The bigger hotels also always have food available during this period. I don't think places like Taman stay open due to concern that people can't find anywhere to eat, my thoughts are the (often absent) owners really don't understand how damaging a few days of very bad service can affect the business. Apart from the issue of making people work on what is the most important celebration of the year. I don't know the situation at Taman, whether the owners are around or not, but it would seem not.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Taman Restaurant in Lombok.... What a joke

That is a shame to hear LittleSparrow, having eaten numerous times in the past at Taman during peak & off-peak the service was always usually good.

It's my understanding though as of late their service has dropped in standards, this may be due to there being different owners.

Definitely one of the best services they now offer is the little bakery just off the main footpath! ;)

Ate in 2011 & 2012.